Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
speechles
Level 9

Re: The Reason Roku Does Not Support Lossless Audio Playback

<snipped>

A little bird told me the answer in my ear. Whispered it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miami_Son
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:
"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
We should now be able to pass through the 7.1 channels encoded in DTS HD-Master, as of the OS 9.0+ release.

Wow, really? Checking this out. Pretty much the only reason why I use the Nvidia Shield. Might want to give a heads up to Plex about this.

Edit: Well, sure enough. I started a 4K movie with Dolby TrueHD.  Playing perfectly. 

OK, now I'm really annoyed my 4640 doesn't have this support!  :evil:

And I'm annoyed I went out of my way to find an older 4640 because of this.  :evil:
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
We should now be able to pass through the 7.1 channels encoded in DTS HD-Master, as of the OS 9.0+ release.

Wow, really? Checking this out. Pretty much the only reason why I use the Nvidia Shield. Might want to give a heads up to Plex about this.

Edit: Well, sure enough. I started a 4K movie with Dolby TrueHD.  Playing perfectly. 

CAn you confirm your AVR shows it's receiving the TrueHD bitstream, as well as DTS/MA? Roku isn't just downconverting it internally? My 4640 will stream DTS/MA, but it only sends the lossy DTS core, and the AVR only shows DTS, not DTS/MA. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"atc98092" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:
"RokuTannerDB" wrote:

CAn you confirm your AVR shows it's receiving the TrueHD bitstream, as well as DTS/MA? Roku isn't just downconverting it internally? My 4640 will stream DTS/MA, but it only sends the lossy DTS core, and the AVR only shows DTS, not DTS/MA. 

I did double check. AVR is showing only DTS when streaming both TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. At least Plex is directly streaming it w/o transcoding. Same videos work fine on the Shield.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

TrueHD is not part of or associated with DTS. It was developed by Dolby. And there is currently no native support for TrueHD in the Roku itself.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:
"RokuTannerDB" wrote:

I did double check. AVR is showing only DTS when streaming both TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. At least Plex is directly streaming it w/o transcoding. Same videos work fine on the Shield.

Then you're seeing the same thing I am, at least with DTS soundtracks. I'm not using Plex, only Roku Media Player. I have complete control over its audio transcoding with Serviio. On my test server I have all transcoding disabled for DTS/MA, so it's bitstreaming the lossy core audio. TrueHD requires transcoding to standard DD. Are you certain it's a TrueHD track that is coming out as DTS? I didn't think DTS was a codec that could be used as a target while transcoding. But Plex might have something up their sleeve. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tr0
Level 8

Well, this is certainly nice. DTS HD-MA passthrough is a good step, I don't see any reason why they can't decode it on device now. The Dolby situation is interesting because Rokus can already decode DD+ on device. I would love to see DTS:X and Atmos (or at least the lossless formats they're based on) decoded on device, or at least be able to played by RMP without saying it can't play it or playing it with no audio.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

DTS-MA is NOT bitstreamed passthrough. Only the lossy DTS core will pass, so you lose the HD portion of the audio, including any DTS:X encoding. And we never received confirmation that trueHD bitstreaming was working. 
I seriously doubt Roku will ever offer lossless decoding, as that requires licensing, which costs money. Apparently even doing bitstream passthrough requires a license, as no one have ever been able to find out why Roku won't just passthrough whatever audio codec is streamed. There has to be a cost reason. And actually, there's only been one Roku that could decode DD+ to Dolby Digital, and that was the Ultra 4640. Every other model will only bitstream the DD+ for external decoding. 
Dan
0 Kudos
shackrock
Level 7

ATC, I am using Premier Plus.  I am curious if I upgrade if I can get lossless audio (4660 or newer - like the 4670R which is the current Ultra that is for sale online i see) - or if it would just pass the lossy DTS core like you said?  I saw you said you're using 4640.

If it actually passes the lossless through to my receiver, then I am willing to upgrade to the latest...

0 Kudos