Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: The Reason Roku Does Not Support Lossless Audio Playback

Hi,

I am wondering if there are any plans to add Bluetooth features at some point down the road?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nothing to share on that at the moment, but thanks for the suggestion! Feel free to keep an eye on on blog at blog.roku.com for any future announcements or updates. 

If you have a Roku TV, we now offer Roku TV wireless speakers which support pairing with Bluetooth audio devices for audio playback. See more here: 
https://support.roku.com/article/360006291054-what-are-roku-tv-wireless-speakers-

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
Some good news to share! In OS 9.0, we've added support for DTS-HD Master 7.1 audio pass through on our current product lineup. Files with this audio format should now be compatible for pass-through to an A/V receiver that supports decoding of this format. 

Thanks again for the feedback here. I've shared this with our team for future considerations. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Tanner, this is inaccurate. Roku players will passthough the core DTS audio, not the full DTS-Master Audio audio bitstream. It's been this way since before OS 9. I just double-checked it on my Ultra, in case this was something that changed that I wasn't aware of. My DTS/MA titles only display DTS on the AVR screen, not DTS/MA. Passing the lossy DTS core is not the same as bitstreaming the full lossless DTS/MA audio. There is an audible difference between the two, even with less than audiophile systems.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

We should now be able to pass through the 7.1 channels encoded in DTS HD-Master, as of the OS 9.0+ release.

Have you double checked the file to ensure this may not be an encoding issue, or tried encoding using a different application to rule out potential issues there? Are you able to hear all 7.1 channels when playing a DTS HD-Master file? 

Feel free to PM me if you're still experiencing an issue. I'll work with you directly to get a sample file that you're having issues with, along with more information about your specific receiver and TV setup so we can investigate further. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
We should now be able to pass through the 7.1 channels encoded in DTS HD-Master, as of the OS 9.0+ release.

Have you double checked the file to ensure this may not be an encoding issue, or tried encoding using a different application to rule out potential issues there? Are you able to hear all 7.1 channels when playing a DTS HD-Master file? 

Feel free to PM me if you're still experiencing an issue. I'll work with you directly to get a sample file that you're having issues with, along with more information about your specific receiver and TV setup so we can investigate further. 

Thanks,
Tanner

You can ask RokuDale about my background. I know what I'm doing with my media server  Smiley Very Happy All transcoding is disabled for any file with DTS/MA audio. You can tell because RMP shows the actual file container in the metadata panel. I've tested multiple files, with the same result for all. DTS/MA is not being sent to my AVR. 
This particular setup is a Ultra 4640 to a Yamaha RX-V665 (not Atmos capable), which connects to a Panasonic 1080 plasma display. The media streams from a Serviio DLNA server and played via RMP. All tested media are 1080 Blu Ray rips with DTS Master Audio as the primary audio track. The containers are MP4, M2TS and MKV. In all cases, either the video won't play at all (the early Star Wars movies just won't play on a Roku without transcoding the audio, something about the way they're mastered), or only show standard DTS in the AVR display. Note the AVR is in direct mode, so it is not altering the audio at all, other than EQ processing. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Understood. As I mentioned/clarified in my previous post, this feature support/availability is confirmed for our current products. Roku Ultra (model 4640) is one of previous model year devices (2016), which differs from our current product Roku Ultra (model 4660/4661). 

Feel free to follow up with me via PM, and I'll pass along additional feedback to the team regarding your interest in this feature on your device. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

PM sent. 
Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:

Wow, really? Checking this out. Pretty much the only reason why I use the Nvidia Shield. Might want to give a heads up to Plex about this.

Edit: Well, sure enough. I started a 4K movie with Dolby TrueHD.  Playing perfectly. 
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"RokuTannerDB" wrote:

Wow, really? Checking this out. Pretty much the only reason why I use the Nvidia Shield. Might want to give a heads up to Plex about this.

Edit: Well, sure enough. I started a 4K movie with Dolby TrueHD.  Playing perfectly. 

OK, now I'm really annoyed my 4640 doesn't have this support!  :evil:
Dan
0 Kudos
Level 8

Will there be support for previous Premier+ ?
0 Kudos