Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dakotah
Level 8

Re: The Reason Roku Does Not Support Lossless Audio Playback

I've been asking for HD audio playback in every quarterly request thread for years now. I could speculate as to why it has not happened...but speculation is all it would be. I have toyed with getting a shield...but wince at the thought of getting involved with another media-device ecosystem. I have 5 roku devices in my house, and would GLADLY pay a premium cost for one "Ultra +" Roku with HD audio passthrough for my theater room.
0 Kudos
visionxorb
Level 7

If Licensing is the problem, easy solution I would think is to have it a feature that is shipped disabled and is a paid feature that you add to your roku account. If you pay the $20 fee or something its activated for the rokus on your account.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"visionxorb" wrote:
If Licensing is the problem, easy solution I would think is to have it a feature that is shipped disabled and is a paid feature that you add to your roku account. If you pay the $20 fee or something its activated for the rokus on your account.

A lot of licensing agreements are based on the number of units that sell that are capable, not just whether it's activated.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

I agree that it would have to be a specific model with the feature, as licensing most likely has to apply to every copy of that model. Personally, I would pay a reasonable extra amount for a box with such support, which is why I'm posting to this thread. I want Roku to know that it's a feature that some of us would really support, even if it meant buying another box.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Nebo1ss
Level 7

Well perhaps the answer would be to include it in the ULTRA only. I am pretty sure it is already the only ROKU box that converts DD+ to DD for older receivers and that was certainly a licensing issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MetalDave
Level 7

While I don't want to speculate, I expect licensing to be the least likely roadblock.  I believe the existing product line demonstrates the Roku has a number of ways to address the cost of a license, and there are more viable options they've yet to explore (as some of you already indicated).  There's a reason Roku came out with the Ultra (and others) rather than just pushing a single, unified version of their platform (a la Apple TV or Fire TV). That's also why Roku may be the likeliest to offer a box that addresses this demand of more involved home theater enthusiasts. 

To that end, there are, clearly, costs associated with any of the viable causes I listed (license, hardware, or software/development).  If there's demand (which there appears to be based upon the feature request record), there's a business model to supply that product and account for those costs.  Historically, Roku is a company that recognizes niche opportunities like this. 

Perhaps it's that very marketing data (the info clarifying the demand) that's preventing Roku from responding to threads like this? They may be keeping that info close to the vest.  Again, it's speculation, but the record of silence on this issue may be telling as well.
0 Kudos
q2klepto
Level 7

Yup even on Boxing Day Sale - i regret getting the Roku Premiere+

No DTS-HD/MA and no Atmos passthrough? You need a license to passthrough the audio for an AVR/DSP to decode? On top of that - i have major sync issues with DTS files and Plex for months...altho i think 7.7 finally fixed this, maybe. 

Never going to recommend a Roku product - actually going to try and list the Premiere+ in the locals and try to get an Nvidia Shield 
0 Kudos
ibzee
Level 7

"MetalDave" wrote:
Hello, Roku team!

I am a mid-to-high end home theater buff.  I take this moniker to mean that I enjoy using products and solutions in my home theater setup that will provide maximum quality without breaking the bank.  To put it another way: will my family see a difference for the investment in the gear?  The intended audience of fellow users will understand this measure of quality versus cost.

To that end, 7.1 lossless audio (including the TrueHD and DTS-MA formats and the burgeoning of ATMOS and other advanced formats) in the home theater is important to me. Even the casual viewer can appreciate the effect of the rear channels and high fidelity in the home theater experience.  as a result, investing in the capability to play these formats has been a worthwhile investment. 

Therefore, I am compelled to ask: why has the Roku platform yet to support the pass through of lossless audio formats via HDMI to the AV receiver?

As I understand it, this has been a top feature request for a few years now.  I would feel better recommending and considering the Roku platform with just a little more understanding of the reasoning behind this feature omission.  Is this a licensing issue (which the passthrough concept would seem to imply a bypass)? Is this a technical issue with the hardware?  Is this a software issue (wherein Roku has yet to dedicate the resources to make this a reality)?

In my mind, it has to be one of those three.  I've seen much speculation from other users throughout the web (so, please, no need to add further conjecture in this thread fellow users).  One the same token, there is a commensurate amount of demand for the feature from customers willing to pay for it (if there is, indeed, additional cost involved). 

As many others have already said, the Roku interface is wonderful and my preferred method to access content.  I believe it is the most universally open and accepted platform. That said, this is a shortcoming that, ultimately, leads customers to invest in another platform to address this long-standing issue.  Like many others, I feel this is a less than desirable option for a variety of reasons.

Roku Team, please give us some insight as to the perceived and actual challenges providing this much requested feature.  Is there a development roadmap where this feature exists?  Is it completely off the table (as recent releases would seem to imply)?

To my fellow users: no need to second the motion. I believe the good folks already know we want this feature.  I'd like to see this thread used for a dialogue from the development team to the user community, so let's give them a chance to respond (before letting this degrade into a tirade of, "me, too.").  Likewise, if someone has already received an official response to this same question, please feel free to share.

Thank you in advance!

- Dave

Hi Dave - based on what i read on roku support website it seems the roku does offer hd/surround audio passthrough. see the link below. what am i missing here? please clarify. thanks
https://support.roku.com/article/208756 ... und-sound- 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

Surround sound, yes. But not HD audio. By HD Audio I mean Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. You might have seen Atmos mentioned on that posting, but it refers to the version of Atmos available via Dolby Digital + on some streaming sites. And that is not lossless HD audio.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Shinola
Level 7

I found this forum thread doing a search with the keywords Roku Flac support.  For those unfamiliar with Flac, it stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. Sounds like my kind of codec. So if it's free and there's no greedy licensing issues from companies with more money than God, what's the problem? Is there a problem or has this just not been touched on because it deals with audio only? I realize the OP is interested in the high res lossless in movies such as DTS, and DD.

It would be interesting if someone developed an app that could decode these movie soundtracks surround mode, convert them into .flac files, and have the .flac file play in sync with the movie from whence it came? - That's probably illegal now that I think about it. I guess I'm grasping at straws here.

Can someone confirm whether or not there is.flac file support on any of Roku's devices? I own one and it doesn't even have a usb port though it is wireless and has an Ethernet port.
I believe it has a giant "2" etched into it. I also own, what I'm told is the very first Roku model released and to hold onto it as it may be a collectable one day.

Thanks for the info so far, and in advance for any light that is shed on the.flac support question.

Thank you.

[EDIT] PS I want to be able to play the high res downloads I've purchased such as the newly mixed Beatles Sgt Pepper as well as the entire Led Zeppelin catalogue and some Stones and Todd Rundgren. from a site called HDtracks.com. The difference between a CD and these higher resolution flac files is quite noticeable to me with this type of music. I was stunned at some of the artifacts I've never noticed before on some of my favorite old classic albums.  Now I just want an alternative to running the headphone jack out of my laptop to my stereo as there is loss that occurs with that kind of connection. The car I've got covered - The Alpine CDE-153BT - even though the sampling has to be converted/reduced to 48k, and the bit rate no higher than 2304k it still sounds better than a brand new CD of the same recording.
I edited this in because I never did explain my reason for wanting flac support in the first place.
0 Kudos