Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

TV won’t turn off when Roku is connected

I have a Roku Premier hooked to a new Vizio TV. The tv will not stay turned off for more than 10 seconds when the Roku is connected. In order for the tv to turn off, I have to unplug the Roku entirely. Any suggestions to get my tv to stay powered off while the Roku is connected? Thanks.
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: TV won’t turn off when Roku is connected

Hi there,

Thanks for the note. It sounds like HDMI CEC settings may be the culprit here. You can either try disabling HDMI CEC in your TV's settings, or turning off '1-touch play' in Settings>System>Control other devices in your Roku's settings menu.

Let us know if that helps!

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the response. I disabled both of your suggested settings and the tv still won’t stay turned off. I’m open to other suggestions. I don’t have the same issue with the amazon fire stick, maybe I should get another one of those.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

There may be multiple settings for this within your TV's menus. Did you try contacting Vizio support to ask for some additional help? You can reach them here: https://support.vizio.com/s/contact-us?language=en_US

You might also try going into Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Control by mobile apps and disabling network access. If someone were using the Roku mobile app while connected to the same wireless network as your device, this setting would prevent the app from communicating with your Roku device. 

Keep me posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same problem but send everything through a Yamaha AV Receiver.  Haven't figured this out yet, but not liking this feature of Roku.  This doesn't happen with my AppleTV 4K or the old Fire Stick I have.  I got the Roku just for Youtube in 4k (AppleTv doesn't support 4k) but it may not be worth it.

Edit:  Forgot my solution.  I also have new Vizio.  This is partially the fault of the vizio but I switch the AV receiver to another input and then when I turnoff the Receiver the screen changes to No Signal for 10 minutes and then it will power down.  If I forget to switch from Roku to another input then the TV stays on all night.  I'm working on the Vizio and Yamaha settings but haven't found anything yet that will help other than turning off CEC and that causes other problems...

0 Kudos