Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJ_45
Channel Surfer

TRRS Audio jack to Component cable for Roku Express+ 3910RW possible?

Jump to solution

Hello,

So i own a Roku Express+ 3910RW that comes with both a  TRRS 3.5mm audio jack to composite cable and HDMI cable. So I came across the Roku XD|S model while doing some research on older Roku models over the years, and it was to my surprise that this particular model came with a TRRS  3.5mm audio jack to component cable (where the colors I believe would be Blue, Green, and Red):

https://hackaday.io/project/12915-component-video-adapter

Here is the original manual to the Roku XD|S if anyone is interested to see what i'm talking about:

https://fccid.io/TC22100X/User-Manual/User-Manual-Part-1-1341250

My HD TV is a Hitachi Ultravision 61" from 2002 and it has a couple sets of Component ports for audio (red and white) and for video (Red, Green, and Blue). My question to you all is, with my Roku Express+ 3910RW already having a TRRS 3.5mm audio jack to composite cable and port, could i possibly purchase a TRRS 3.5mm audio jack to component cable so I may watch things on my ultravision tv in analog HD (which goes up to 1080i)?

Does ROKU happen to sell this TRRS 3.5mm audio jack to component cable anymore? I don't see it listed anywhere on the site and thought maybe I'm missing it perhaps? If it's not sold on your site, could you refer me to maybe where I could buy a good TRRS 3.5mm audio jack to component cable?

Has anyone conducted this experiment before? And does anyone have a suggested TRRS 3.5mm audio jack to component cable brand?

Thanks all for your time and consideration.

--CJ

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: TRRS Audio jack to Component cable for Roku Express+ 3910RW possible?

Jump to solution

@CJ_45 

The 3.5mm port on the 3910 only carries composite AV (Video/Left/Right) signaling - it does not carry component (Red/Blue/Green - YPbPr) signaling.

As @Tivoburkee pointed out, the Roku XDS has separate outputs for component and composite connections - in that model, the component output uses 3.5mm and composite uses RCA.

Though port connectors are often identical (e.g. RCA or 3.5mm), port signalling is often not (analog v digital, stereo versus composite stereo, different configurations of composite stereo, etc).

Modern Rokus only support 720p/1080p/2160p - they dont support 1080i so a component connection from a Roku device would only get you 720p at best (assuming your TV supports it via component).

Finally, an HDMI>Component converter/adapter would be your best bet:

https://www.amazon.com/LiNKFOR-1080P-Component-Converter-Adapter/dp/B07PMGBVV8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&k...

I cant vouch for it, since I dont use it (it has high ratings), but it may be worth the $20 to you.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

That cable is useless on any modern roku. Anyways theres no audio via that cable. Roku still sells it, its the last one listed right before the headphones on this page:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
CJ_45
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Is this roku store you linked still viable to buy things from it? And why wouldn't the audio be working on it? Wouldn't the audio work due to the end of the cord being used as a 3.5mm audio jack to component video signal? And how would it be useless on a Roku Express+ 3910RW model if it has a port for such a thing?

Has anyone else might of given this a try?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

On a component cable the red, green and blue are all for video only, theres no rca for audio at all, you would need a 5 cables for red, green, blue, red for right audio, and white for left audio. The mini-plug only has three conductives all taken up by video. If you plug that into you modern roku, you'll have video out of just one rca color, and audio out of the other two colors. 

In the roku store if doesn't say its out of stock, and its present then they're still selling them. 

Edmund

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Look for pictures of the roku xds back you'll see it has jack for that component breakout cable I linked to, but also has the three composite rca jacks where you would get the audio from. Your express doesn't have these. 

Edmund

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@CJ_45 

The 3.5mm port on the 3910 only carries composite AV (Video/Left/Right) signaling - it does not carry component (Red/Blue/Green - YPbPr) signaling.

As @Tivoburkee pointed out, the Roku XDS has separate outputs for component and composite connections - in that model, the component output uses 3.5mm and composite uses RCA.

Though port connectors are often identical (e.g. RCA or 3.5mm), port signalling is often not (analog v digital, stereo versus composite stereo, different configurations of composite stereo, etc).

Modern Rokus only support 720p/1080p/2160p - they dont support 1080i so a component connection from a Roku device would only get you 720p at best (assuming your TV supports it via component).

Finally, an HDMI>Component converter/adapter would be your best bet:

https://www.amazon.com/LiNKFOR-1080P-Component-Converter-Adapter/dp/B07PMGBVV8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&k...

I cant vouch for it, since I dont use it (it has high ratings), but it may be worth the $20 to you.

CJ_45
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ah makes more sense. The port is not interchangeable as I would of thought in my mind.  Thanks everyone for your help and support.

0 Kudos
Albert34

Jump to solution

Did you ever buy the HDMI to component cable for your TV? I have an old Sony HD TV with the same issue. I just ordered from Amazon the converter the previous guy suggested and wondered what you decided and how it worked out for you?

0 Kudos
CJ_45
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Albert34, 

So i didn't buy that specific model that Genteman had mentioned:

But I did buy a converter that was made by Porta that was an HDMI to Component Video with a scaler function. Porta doesn't make that version of the Porta converter anymore after I bought it 4 years ago.

If you buy an HDMI to Component converter, you should buy one with a scaler function because it allows for adjustment of the digital 720-1080P video to an analog HD video (720p to 1080i).  The converter I have works for me well. Occasionally I would get a screen flicker that lasts for 1.5 seconds; however, the picture stays in good quality.

The only thing I would say to be aware of when you convert a digital signal to an analog signal, you're going to experience over scanning to a certain degree. And depending on the TV, you're not going to fix it unless you access the developer menu on a TV. Sony I'm pretty sure has that depending on your TV make/model. I have an Ultravision HD Plasma TV from 2002 and I get some overscan. When I adjust the picture in dev. mode to fix the overscan on the HD signal, I'm able to adjust the <--> 🚥horizontal picture with no problem. But I can't just the vertical part 🚦 of the picture to fit everything in place when I use that converter. A limitation in the TV dev mode I suspect without diving too much into things. 

But what model is your TV if I may ask? and do you have the same Roku Express+ 3910RW model? If so, I would advise you to maybe try that 3.5mm jack to Component cable to try things. that was maybe my question in my post to see if anyone has tried that since I have seen cases where people made composite video behave like a component cable using different cable arrangements. 

If you have further questions, reach out. I'll help. 

0 Kudos