Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
crom99
Level 7

TCL Roku TV / receiver CEC issue

I have a TCL Roku TV and a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K receiver. The TV and receiver are connected with optical for sound and HDMI for CEC functionality (I wasn’t able to get sound *and* CEC working via HDMI). All the appropriate TV and receiver settings are set for CEC and audio and everything works, but only if I reboot the TV after turning it (and, via CEC, the receiver) on. 

Is there a way to prevent this extra step? A handshake delay or a manual re-handshake between devices? Is there something I’m missing here?
0 Kudos
29 Replies
apodtele
Level 7

Re: TCL Roku TV / receiver CEC issue

It does not look like your receiver supports HDMI ARC connection and CEC won't work for you. If I am wrong and your receiver has ARC feature, then use ARC instead of optical and play with ARC audio connection protocol: switch to something less than Autodetect or Dolby D+.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

ARC and CEC are completely separate functions, so one doesn't rely on the other. It's just they both use HDMI for their functionality. However, I downloaded the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K manual, and it doesn't appear to support either ARC or CEC. Pioneer appears to have a form of CEC called Kuro-Link, but it doesn't appear to follow the CEC industry standard:

We do not guarantee this receiver will work with Pioneer KURO LINK-compatible components or components of other makes that support the KURO LINK function. We do not guarantee that all synchronized operations will work with components of other makes that support the KURO LINK function

So any CEC functionality you were getting was just lucky. I doubt there's anything you can do to change this, beyond replacing your AVR for something that has the CEC standard connection. Yamaha appears to be solid in this regard, and I believe most other brands work as well. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

ARC and CEC lines are separate hdmi lines. however the CEC protocol is used to setup the ARC connection between the TV and the AVR. CEC commands like Initiate ARC, and tell me what codecs the AVR supports are used.
If your receiver doesn't support ARC it still might support System Audio Control where the TVs volume bottons will control the AVRs volume when connected. This is still useful even if your connection between the TV and the AVR is optical. In the CEC setup on the Roku TV, you can turn on SAC and disable ARC so the Roku TV won't try to initiate the ARC connection.
From my look at the Pioneer manual, Kuro-Link is Pioneers version of CEC.
0 Kudos
crom99
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
ARC and CEC lines are separate hdmi lines. however the CEC protocol is used to setup the ARC connection between the TV and the AVR. CEC commands like Initiate ARC, and tell me what codecs the AVR supports are used.
If your receiver doesn't support ARC it still might support System Audio Control where the TVs volume bottons will control the AVRs volume when connected. This is useful still useful even if your connection between the TV and the AVR is optical. In the CEC setup on the Roku TV, you can turn on SAC and disable ARC so the Roku TV won't try to initiate the ARC connection.
From my look at the Pioneer manual, Kuro-Link is Pioneers version of CEC.

I’m aware of Kuro Link being Pioneer’s version of CEC, and like I said I have CEC functionality working. I can control volume, mute, and power off my receiver with my TV. All the appropriare Roku and receiver settings are where they should be. The problem is that there’s apparently handshake issues when turning both the TV and the receiver on at the same time via CEC.  They both power on, but I have to restart the TV after turning it on for the volume control to work. The volume either shows as 0 on the TV, and pressing up or down on the remote makes a UI sound, but does nothing on the receiver until I reboot the TV, OR it shows the volume correctly, but pressing up and down is extremely slow to register on the receiver (takes several presses for the receiver to change volume at all).

I guess what I’m asking is if Roku can implement something that addresses this issue. I love having a small, simple remote that controls both units, but rebooting the TV whenever I turn it on is annoying. Is there a workaround on my end that’s better than rebooting?

FWIW, the HDMI cable that I’m using for CEC is plugged into HDMI3 on my TV. I was hoping that selecting the HDMI3 input on my TV would reset the HDMI connection so that I don’t have to reboot, but no dice. Any suggestions? Workarounds? Possible future fixes?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

If HDMI3 is the ARC port on the RokuTV, try using a different port.And what firmware version do you have with the RokuTV?
0 Kudos
crom99
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
It HDMI3 is the ARC port on the RokuTV, try using a different port.And what firmware version do you have with the RokuTV?

No, the ARC port is HDMI1, but it’s the same issues on that port, too.
Software version is 8.10 build 4139-30. 
TV model is TCL 49S405
“Roku TV” value is 7104X
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

I've submitted a new bug report for this, and included the forum information.
Here are some other things you could try instead of restarting the TV.

1. Try power dow/up of receiver.
2. Unplug hdmi cable (either end) between AVR and TV, wait 3 seconds, then plug it back in.  I know this is inconvenient, but it might do as a workaround.
0 Kudos
crom99
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
I've submitted a new bug report for this, and included the forum information.
Here are some other things you could try instead of restarting the TV.

1. Try power dow/up of receiver.
2. Unplug hdmi cable (either end) between AVR and TV, wait 3 seconds, then plug it back in.  I know this is inconvenient, but it might do as a workaround.

Thanks, Dale.

I tried both suggestions and neither work. I get the extremely slow responsiveness to volume inputs I described earlier in both cases. I’ll just have to keep rebooting the TV until a fix is found.

I forgot to mention that CEC volume control stops working after switch back and forth between an HDMI port and Roku. I have Steam Link on HDMI2. When I switch to HDMI2, CEC volume control works untill I press the Home button to end my session on HDMI2. I then have to reboot the TV again to get volume control back.

Thanks so much for the prompt responses.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

With my Panasonic ST30 plasma TV, I have to power the AVR on before touching any other device, or CEC will not work between the TV and the AVR. Since I like to use the TV remote to control the AVR volume, it's just a habit for me. The Panasonic also doesn't have (to my recollection) have a quick start mode, where the Roku TV probably does. You might disable that as well, power the AVR first, then turn the TV on, and see if CEC works better. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos