Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lloy

TCL Roku TV latest update “RECOVERY MODE” loop problem. Model: 43S421-CA

I bought a TCL Roku TV C107X Model number 43S421-CA and now it automatically updated to a latest version and shows a purple Recovery mode screen where it asks to connect internet and update. After update the TV will restart to the same screen. And now it’s a loop where I can’t do anything further. I tried to press the “can’t connect to internet” option where it asked to do an update with a USB.
So I went to tvupdate.roku.com and entered my TCL model C107X to download the update manually and surprisingly in the model confirmation screen they have this question

Your Roku TV is a TCL model 43S423 or 43S425 or 43S425-MX. Is this correct?”

with only a confirm option. But my model number is 43S421-CA which is not at all there. As I don’t have any other option I downloaded that file and try to update with a USB device and the recovery page comes up again after the restart.... 

Anyone experience the same issue or do anyone have a fix for this?

18 REPLIES 18
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TCL Roku TV latest update “RECOVERY MODE” loop problem. Model: 43S421-CA

You might have better luck contacting TCL.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jimmer1973
Reel Rookie

Jus got home to the same problem.

0 Kudos
TAMMRIE
Channel Surfer

Try this: I don't understand how it worked for me, but I was having the same issue. Also, when I would enter my model #, it would state that it was the wrong one. After searching some more, I also found that it was asking me to go into settings blah blah blah to recover the model #.... which is impossible if I couldn't even get past the recovery mode. After a few tries, it accepted my model # I'd been trying continuously. Then proceeded to ask if it was "this" model #; which I only received one option to choose from. So I did so. It did it's thing to no avail. **I even connected the ethernet cable straight to the back of my tv.

I then did the thumb drive deal. I attached it to the usb port to no avail of opening up said recovery file. I deleted the file and formatted the drive once again. (This time, not renaming the file which I thought I needed to do to be able to find it because I didn't know how I was going to have to open it up through the tv. I thought that I would have to choose which file it was on the thumb drive as I first had other files on it prior to reformatting the first time. --I did renaming for the "just in case" scenarios.) After inserting the thumb drive once again -second time without renaming it- it quickly picked it up and showed me the 12 digits that I needed to enter into the computer. Once I did so, the tv did its thing and restarted itself. I started off in the regular red start up page with the apps and all. But.... half an hour later it did it again.

I started troubleshooting again to no avail. Then it hit me. What if my internet connection is just not strong enough? **Last year, I had my internet people come out to trouble shoot my connection because when my hardware was in the living room, my signals were not strong enough in my bedroom. So they moved the hardware to my bedroom as that's where I spend A LOT OF TIME IN. Since then, my signal hasn't been strong enough in the living room. I was ok with that. Where it gets weird is; that my 55'' TCL Roku tv is mounted, It's always connected with no problem. (Different internal antennas?) Because connecting one of 2 laptops to it causes buffering.

Anyways. I jumped onto my internet account. Under Settings/Hardware/Router/Modem.... I noticed Name (5GHz) my password, then Name (2.4GHz) and my password again. 

This is where I am confused as to the differences even though my boss/pastor explained it to me. All these years that I have had internet and a technician has come out; I have always been connected to the 2.4 GHz line. ........... I went ahead and disconnected from it and connected to the (5GHz). WALA!!!! My tv has not shut down, restarted or jumped into recovery mode. NO MORE LOOP.

*Before I tried the internet wifi connection change; I had just returned from walmart. I called CS to see if they had a way to retrieve my purchase history receipt of my 2 TV'S I purchased on the same day in one transaction with my debit card as one of them was giving me trouble after only 3 months. The CR printed me out not a receipt but a purchase history statement. **I was ready to proceed with a complaint to TCL and/or Roku, demand a replacement etc. as I've read others do.

What I find extremely odd is that it acted as if I was required internet access to be able to use my tv....which doesn't make any sense because you can choose to use it with or without ie: antenna.

I strongly believe that maybe, just maybe, the wifi and ethernet cable attached was still not strong enough for the complete and successful reboot/startup/update

0 Kudos
TAMMRIE
Channel Surfer

**UPDATE** 2 weeks later

Not sure if a new update was done but my TV is now at the purple recovery mode screen once again; this time, with all the steps I mentioned before, I can't seem to get passed this screen.

This is extremely frustrating!! 

(I've tried EVERYTHING, you name it, I've tried it).

0 Kudos
Jlock19

Yup. Same thing has happened to me. And the sad part is, this is a replacement TV because my last one only last 5 months where it had a different issue. And now it's been 4 months and without TV again. I'm really really over this. 

0 Kudos

I experienced the same issue with my TCL roku tv

I called support and they advised me to unplug the TV and hold the power button down it actually updated the software but then it looped back to recovery mode. I then turn the TV over upside down decided to unplug it for about 30 minutes and I noticed when I was hitting the power button that it was not pressing in all the way so I hit the bar behind it and I heard it click. I then turn the TV back in and it booted up

TAMMRIE
Channel Surfer

Oh wow. I’ll try that soon as I get home. Thank you for your input. It’s been sitting on my bedroom floor since. I exhaustively tried all of the steps suggested in all forums, all of the steps suggested by Roku and much much more from other on-line sources to no avail. I’m so excited to have a reply from you and that it worked for you. I can’t wait to get home to try it out. The only thing that I have a question about is where you stated that you hit the bar at the back.  I’m not sure as to what bar you are talking about. (I’ve prevented at all costs hitting, tapping or banging on any part of the tv in fear that I would damage it in case that TCL would be willing to look at it and then deny me should there be other odd damages to it.

BTW, I first contacted Roku and was told that the issue has nothing to do with them and that I should contact TCL.

I've contacted TCL and have yet to hear back from them.

I really hope that what you have suggested works not just for me but for others.

0 Kudos
Carol1408

This happening to me now also.

0 Kudos
TAMMRIE
Channel Surfer

If all of the trouble shooting suggestions have been done and you still can't get a solution....Contact the tv manufacturer. 

Update: 2 weeks ago, After contacting and hearing back from TCL, They told me that the part to be replaced would be getting delivered to a local repair man and they would soon come to my home to swap out the part. They swapped out the mother board. The tv started right up with no issues. I have only used the tv 3 times since then as it is still sitting on the floor in my living room as I haven't taken the time to mount it back on my dresser and haven't remounted my bigger tv back onto the mount in the living room yet.

I'm afraid that if I do so so early after the replacement, it might go back into having issues, so I'm waiting a bit before I go through all of that trouble.

My suggestion is to contact the TV Manufacturer IF your tv is still under warranty. Act fast before it expires and you'd really be out of that and have to find a solution that might cost you more than the free replacement. 

Good luck to you all. Hope this was insightful information. God Bless. 

0 Kudos