Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
js32418
Level 7

TCL Roku Channel Guide Problems

I started having trouble with the off the air guide last week. The guide started to display the channel info for a different geographical area. As an example my local channel 9 is a PBS station, the guide was showing info for the CBS station 300 miles from here. Every channel was wrong. I took the TV off line and reloaded the channel guide info, same problem.  I sent an email to Roku tech support and got an automated response, nothing since then. 

Problem solved (for now anyway) I did a factory reset and reconfigured everything. Guide came up working properly.

A side note: I called a toll free number found at  http://www.rokutechsupport.com/  I gave them remote access to my roku account. They told me they could fix the problem for $150.00. I said Bull S**t and hung up. On further examination I see that this is a 3 party vendor that apparently has Roku's blessing to represent them. I guess it might be worth $150 to somebody to have this problem resolved. I think it would be in Roku's best interest to suggest the self performed factory reset option first.

I still have not gotten any kind of personal response from my original email 5 days ago. 
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: TCL Roku Channel Guide Problems

What email address did you use.  I can escalate it up the chain.

Yes, the ONLY source for tech support is at Roku.com directly.  Anything other URL (that I'm aware of) is a third-party support site.  I'll pass this one you found up the chain of command.  Thanks.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"js32418" wrote:

A side note: I called a toll free number found at  http://www.rokutechsupport.com/  I gave them remote access to my roku account. They told me they could fix the problem for $150.00. I said Bull S**t and hung up. On further examination I see that this is a 3 party vendor that apparently has Roku's blessing to represent them. I guess it might be worth $150 to somebody to have this problem resolved. I think it would be in Roku's best interest to suggest the self performed factory reset option first.

I still have not gotten any kind of personal response from my original email 5 days ago. 

Not accurate. They do NOT have the permission of Roku to do what they do. They are scammers and will attempt to either charge you something (as they tried) or remote into your computer and install something nasty (probably both). Roku does not charge for assistance, and they will never ask to connect to your computer or account. Obviously, they can already see your account from their end, so have no need for you to "allow them access".Keep an eye on your Roku account and make sure that nothing gets charged that you didn't ask for.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
js32418
Level 7

Dan, Thanks for the heads up. Im sure this is a scam. At this point I am hoping I did not leave myself open to fraud. I actually suspected something was wrong and reset my password while I was still on the phone with them.  The only payment method I have on my roku account is Paypal which prompts you for a password when you try to use it. I have a very strong password on that account and I have no payment card associated with it. I think if I had a credit card listed as my roku payment method they would have charged it. Not sure what other devious methods these types use. I have searched their phone number and found it used for various other products  "tech support"

Live and learn..... I will look to this forum fo my future roku questions

Thanks , Joel

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Smart move changing your password. And using PayPal with a good password was another good step. You should be fine. You're the second person this week that was caught by that same site, I believe. Man, I hate people like that.  :evil:
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos