Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MuhlenA

Switch Rmotes between Roku devices

I want to but the new #roku #remote but was wondering if they are interchangeable between devices. I currently have 3 roku devices but only have two remotes

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Switch Rmotes between Roku devices

@MuhlenA wrote:

I want to but the new #roku #remote but was wondering if they are interchangeable between devices. I currently have 3 roku devices but only have two remotes

It depends. 

If any are Roku Stick/Stick+ devices, I think the answer is "no" in regards to them. But something makes me think other users on this forum have been able to share a single remote on multiple sticks. @Tivoburkee is the one, I think. He's a regular and will likely be able to weigh in on this.

If you are talking Roku set top boxes, such as the Express line, the Premiere line, the Ultra line, or the older Roku 3 line, then it's possible, if the remote is an IR remote. While the better devices come with the WiFi Direct remote (similar to what you'll find on the recent lines of Sticks), those devices also support Roku IR remotes. In fact, the Express only comes with an IR remote. But you can take any IR remote to any Roku set top box and control the device.

I'm assuming that's not your situation (that is, you don't have Roku IR remotes) or you would have simply gone from room to room and discovered that to be the case. So, awaiting someone that has actually done this, such as @Tivoburkee , may be best. Now that I've tagged him, he may see this post and offer his advice.

I do have a couple of other things to offer that you may not have considered. Current and recent Roku devices can be controlled by the Roku app on a phone or tablet. Essentially, your phone is the remote.

And, if it's not a Stick you're talking about, you can find a cheap universal (IR) remote at Family Dollar, Walmart, Best Buy, etc for around $5 that will control Roku devices. Just look for the list of supported devices on the packaging.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos