Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Support

Support ... I have been long time roku customer ... but after this last experience think I'll be moving to another platform ... I order a new express for an older TV ... when I went to roku to install the code was not valid ... of course I got scammed into $99.99 fee ... the problem is I have tried several ways to contact roku to report this so (long story short was their Web site I went to/so how I got re-directed I'm not sure) ... but I called and because of virus they can't answer calls? Really? ... no one answered e-mails I sent or any other ways I have tried ... very disappointed

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Support

It appears the scammers have manipulated the web search engines to make their bogus sites appear first when your browser offers suggestions when you start typing. I am a moderator on a couple of other forums, and I have already spent close to an hour deleting the kind of posts that the scammers use to trick the search engines. It's a never ending battle.

I assure you Roku is aware, but there's limits to what they can do about these scammers. Particularly when they are located off-shore. Roku has changed the method of activating devices, and had added additional material in the packages warning about the scammers. Of course, if something's been sitting on a store shelf for a while it might not have the updated material.

I hope you have contested the credit card charge, and changed your Roku account password. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I contacted my card company ... the problem I have now is I have a device I can't activate ... I also have issues with my account I need assistance with ... I have tried several ways and time to reach support with no luck (e-mail/phone, etc) ... I find it hard to believe that as a company roku can't provide these services ... but yet they have no problem selling their equipment  ... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Tim24 wrote:

I contacted my card company ... the problem I have now is I have a device I can't activate ... I also have issues with my account I need assistance with ... I have tried several ways and time to reach support with no luck (e-mail/phone, etc) ... I find it hard to believe that as a company roku can't provide these services ... but yet they have no problem selling their equipment  ... 

I suggest creating a new Roku account. The scammers have likely taken control of your account. Yes, it is difficult contacting Roku support during this pandemic. 

With a fresh account, you will be able to activate your device to it. If you can't get the activation code again, simply do a factory reset on a start the initial configuration from the beginning. Make sure you go to https://my.roku.com/link to enter your code. Any other URL is a scam site. Note that I'm referencing the US Roku site. Different countries might have a slightly different URL, but I am almost positive that they will all be a Roku.com address. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

Ok ... after I set up new account how do I transfer the devices I have in my existing account?  ... I have a few different roku devices ... been with them since 2011 ... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Tim24 wrote:

Ok ... after I set up new account how do I transfer the devices I have in my existing account?  ... I have a few different roku devices ... been with them since 2011 ... 

The only way to move a Roku device onto a new account is a factory reset. The bad thing is you have to set all your channels back up. The good thing is that it will automatically load all channels attached to that account. You might have to reorder the tiles the way you want, and you'll have to log back into any accounts that require login. But that's the only way to switch accounts on a device. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks ... will give that a try ... how do you reset a device? ... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Tim24 wrote:

Thanks ... will give that a try ... how do you reset a device? ... 

Depending on the device, there's either a small hole that has a recessed button, or on some devices it's a soft button on the bottom of the case. Press and hold the button for a minimum of 30 seconds, and that wipes the device and takes you to the initial setup screen. 

Dan
0 Kudos