Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pompey
Level 7

Subtle change in button behavior with Roku OS 8.0

Has anyone else noticed the change in functionality with the "home" and "back" buttons?  Before 8.0, when you would exit a channel with the "back" button, you would be taken back to the grid row where that channel is located. When you exited with the "home" button, you would often, but not always, be brought to the top of your grid. With 8.0, if you use the "back" button to exit a channel, you are always brought to the top of your grid.
Is the new OS perhaps performing some extra memory management and housecleaning upon exiting channels for increased stability?
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill
0 Kudos
3 Replies
k9gardner
Level 7

Re: Subtle change in button behavior with Roku OS 8.0

I just realized if the "back button" is the one in the upper left that'll walk you back toward the main menu, I may be calling the feature I'm looking for by the wrong name. What I'm looking for is more of a "return th the previous channel" kind of thing, such as exists on every other regular tv remote. The buttons on the Roku Stick remote are insanely sensitive and it's very easy to accidentally go careening off to Netflix, say, when you were in the middle of watching something on Hulu or Amazon. The problem is, half the time I don't know where I was watching it, cuz I may not have been the one who selected it. All I can do is get back to the main menu which doesn't help if I don't know how to grtwhere I want to be. Is there any way to invoke this kind of functionality, or any reason why not? It's incredibly frustrating. Right now for example I can't get back to the Mr. Robot episode that I was just in the middle of. I don't know where it was being fed from. Very frustrating.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Pompey" wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the change in functionality with the "home" and "back" buttons?  Before 8.0, when you would exit a channel with the "back" button, you would be taken back to the grid row where that channel is located. When you exited with the "home" button, you would often, but not always, be brought to the top of your grid. With 8.0, if you use the "back" button to exit a channel, you are always brought to the top of your grid.
Is the new OS perhaps performing some extra memory management and housecleaning upon exiting channels for increased stability?

My Roku device, running v8, does not behave as you describe.

When I hit HOME, I am taken to the Home Screen, with the row of the app I was on at the top. Pressing HOME a second time takes me to the top of the Main Menu.

That is the behavior I have experienced ever since Roku went to this interface several releases (and years) ago.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

You are referring to the "Last Channel" button that most TV remotes have, that lets you bounce between two different channels. I have never seen such a button on any sort of streaming device. Even if Roku was able to reload your last channel, I doubt it would be able to return you to whatever you were watching in the prior channel. It likely doesn't have the memory to store that kind of information.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos