Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Subtitles

Jump to solution

My husband and just got our Roku a couple of weeks ago. We love it! There is one problem.  Our favorite show is Blue Bloods, which we are watching on CBS All Access. I am hard of hearing so we have the captions set to always on.  At first, for some reason the captions were showing on one episode and not the next.  Now they won't come on at all, and I can't watch a show without captions.  They work on other shows!  What should I do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Subtitles

Jump to solution

There are usually three places to look to set subtitles:

1. The Roku Home Screen under settings.

2. In (almost) every channel. Go to the channel that has your show. Once you're in, look at the top of the screen for Audio and/or Subtitles. Or look at the menu for that channel. You can hit the star (options) button. You'll probably get a subtitles menu.

3. In (almost) every show, while watching, hit pause. Look at the top of the screen. You may have a subtitles menu. If not, try the star button. I tried a few of the shows I watch and they all have a subtitles menu or one appears when you hit the star button.

I have a Roku Ultra so I don't know if the menus will be the same for you...

This is how to do it in Netflix: When you get to the screen with your show (the one that lists the episodes), below the highlighted episode there are a few menu choices. One of them is for subtitles.

If not, start your show, hit the play/pause (between FF & rewind) and you'll see three icons in the top-left corner of the screen. It says Options under them. On your remote, hit the up arrow (above OK) and it will light up the 3 icons. I only have to hit the up arrow once but maybe you need to hit it more than once to get the icons to light up. The middle one is the default and you'll now see "Audio & Subtitles" as the tip below the icons. Merely press OK to select the middle (default) icon and you'll get a choice for subtitles and audio leveling.

It seems to me that if you play any episode and you hit Pause, you'll see a subtitles menu somewhere on the screen.

I don't think there's anything that doesn't have subtitles, and anything from a corporate broadcaster definitely will.

Like yourself, I depend on subtitles a lot, too and I haven't found anything that doesn't have them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Subtitles

Jump to solution

There are usually three places to look to set subtitles:

1. The Roku Home Screen under settings.

2. In (almost) every channel. Go to the channel that has your show. Once you're in, look at the top of the screen for Audio and/or Subtitles. Or look at the menu for that channel. You can hit the star (options) button. You'll probably get a subtitles menu.

3. In (almost) every show, while watching, hit pause. Look at the top of the screen. You may have a subtitles menu. If not, try the star button. I tried a few of the shows I watch and they all have a subtitles menu or one appears when you hit the star button.

I have a Roku Ultra so I don't know if the menus will be the same for you...

This is how to do it in Netflix: When you get to the screen with your show (the one that lists the episodes), below the highlighted episode there are a few menu choices. One of them is for subtitles.

If not, start your show, hit the play/pause (between FF & rewind) and you'll see three icons in the top-left corner of the screen. It says Options under them. On your remote, hit the up arrow (above OK) and it will light up the 3 icons. I only have to hit the up arrow once but maybe you need to hit it more than once to get the icons to light up. The middle one is the default and you'll now see "Audio & Subtitles" as the tip below the icons. Merely press OK to select the middle (default) icon and you'll get a choice for subtitles and audio leveling.

It seems to me that if you play any episode and you hit Pause, you'll see a subtitles menu somewhere on the screen.

I don't think there's anything that doesn't have subtitles, and anything from a corporate broadcaster definitely will.

Like yourself, I depend on subtitles a lot, too and I haven't found anything that doesn't have them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos