Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thunder1
Reel Rookie

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

The culprit for me was the CBS NEWS LIVE 24/7 app. This app would turn on the captions until I turned it off within the app. All good now

Hoosierferg
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I watch CBSN daily. That works on some channels, but the star button brings up varying options on different channels and it often doesn’t include closed captions. I find that the Roku Home Screen settings is the only place to turn them off. 

0 Kudos
nancylo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It worked for me.  There was a closed Caption option on CBSN when I used the options on the roku remote.  Sorry it didn't work for you.  You may want to call CBS like I did.

0 Kudos
Hoosierferg
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My point was that it works on CBSN app, but it doesn't work, for instance, in the Sling app. There, you have to exit out of Sling and turn off Captions "always on" in the settings on the left-side list on the Roku homepage. Basically, the Roku app should not be constantly turning captions back on at random. This string was not originally about only CBSN. I'm thereby suggesting that it is not a CBSN problem, but a Roku problem.

Giantmetalrabit
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I agree with you, Hoosierferg. Considering, from other users comments and my own troubleshooting, this happens on several apps, not just CBSN. Also considering the fact that this only started happening on my TCL Roku immediately after the Roku update, leans my suspicions towards Roku, not any particular app. If I access CBSN through CBS All Access, there is no closed captions, so that is a "work-around" for those who may want to proceed that way.

I do like the Roku interface and I've had no other issues so I hope this is remedied on the next update. Streaming devices are cheap enough to consider an alternative (competitor) but that is just a thought at this point. Time and (lack of?) support will make my determination. Thank you all for your unput!

Hoosierferg
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks Giantmetalrabit. Roku cured my streaming sluggishness and other problems last summer as a new streamer on a 4-year-old Samsung Smart TV that apparently was no longer so smart. I had spent hours on the phone with different help desk people from different products (TV, router, xfinity wifi, Sling). Though I learned a lot of self-trouble shooting, I found no solutions for several months until I read something on the relatively short shelf-life of smart TVs intelligence that triggered me to try a Roku, and problem solved, so I swear by it in general. But I shouldn't have to offload apps and reset everything to make a glitch go away. Hopefully, it's indeed an update glitch, which makes sense.

0 Kudos
Thunder1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sorry to insinuate that CBSN was the sole culprit for subtitles. In my particular experience this is what happens. As soon as I activate the CBSN app subtitles appear no matter where I left it on my previous usage, which is subtitles off. If I turn them off within the app (CBSN) they remain off on other apps. If I turn the TV off and then on subtitles remain off until I use the CBSN app and then they are on and remain on in other apps until I turn them off within the app, or on the main ROKU settings. Not sure if this indicates a ROKU problem or just the app, any thoughts.

0 Kudos
gosaints77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's not CBSN.  I do not have the app, never had the app, and experience the same problem.  It just started about 2 weeks ago on my end.  It's a real pain in A$$ 

susad2985
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I tried that it still didn't do a thing for me I still have CBS news that keeps getting it

0 Kudos
Hoosierferg
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I agree. Just started a couple of weeks ago for me, too. I'm also experiencing some reduced stability in Sling but can't recall if it has happened in other apps. Basically, when trying to load a channel from the guide, it shuts down Sling and reverts to the bouncing Roku letters, like when you turn on the TV. ... I do watch the CBSN app a lot. Hopefully, Roku is working on it.

0 Kudos