Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddevonb73
Binge Watcher

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

Now that you bring it up, mine have stopped doing that, so they apparently fixed it in the software. Try running the latest updates and see if that takes care of it.

Johnso47

Jump to solution

I have the same issue, but I’m not streaming. I’m getting a signal from the airwaves.  I’m guessing it has something to do with the updates that occur in the off hours. 

RSC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This just started happening on my device yesterday and it’s annoying AF!  It’s every channel on every app (Netflix, VMedia, AppleTV, etc).  

I can disable it on whatever I’m watching by using the (*) but, if I change channels it comes back on.  I’ve also gone to the Captions setting in the Roku menu and it’s “always on” and whenever I turn it off and go back to an app to view, it turns itself back on, even after doing a full system reset.

I’ve also checked my TVs settings and it’s Off so, it must be something with Roku from what I’m experiencing and reading here.

C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RSC wrote:

This just started happening on my device yesterday and it’s annoying AF!  It’s every channel on every app (Netflix, VMedia, AppleTV, etc).  

I can disable it on whatever I’m watching by using the (*) but, if I change channels it comes back on.  I’ve also gone to the Captions setting in the Roku menu and it’s “always on” and whenever I turn it off and go back to an app to view, it turns itself back on, even after doing a full system reset.

I’ve also checked my TVs settings and it’s Off so, it must be something with Roku from what I’m experiencing and reading here.

Gi to settings>accessibility>captions mode>and you can check three options: off, on always, on replay.  Sometimes, if the program you are watching is in a foreign language, the subtitles will turn on by default. There's no way to turn those off. 

RSC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, I did that (multiple times) and even restarted Roku after having done so but, it still turns itself back on.  Since there is an ‘Always On’ option, there should be an ‘Always Off’ option.  Also, all programming I watch is English so, that’s not it either.

gosaints77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same here now... started about a week ago, all channels.  CC turns on after I turn it off.  It will come back on during the same darn channel after a while also.  Very frustrating.  This is a ROKU issue not a app issue.

Rocknrolz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes it is a Roku issue. I have multiple Roku's, and it happens on all of them, with multiple apps. I can't find a pattern as to when it comes on either... but it seems to be daily.

Cpurdy

Jump to solution

I am having same issue! I've tried at app level and main level .... It keeps turning itself back on ....this just started today with me. It has to be a bug from roku to be affecting all these users .... Do u have an updated fix available?

Rocknrolz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is has been an issue since I first posted, and I have not yet found a solution that works. I just bite the bullet and turn it off manually every day, as soon as I realize that I have been reading instead of listening for the past several minutes.

Jump to solution

I solved this issue somewhat by exploration and trial and error so not sure if this is a universal fix or not. 

First, confirm that CC is set to “off” on the Roku main page under Settings > Accessibility > Captions Mode. 

I then went to my first listed streaming app, which was Netflix, and started it. I chose any show/movie and hit <Enter>. When the preview loaded, I scrolled down to <Audio & Subtitles>, hit <Enter>,  and found that “English (CC)” was turned on under the “Subtitles” heading.

I turned it off there and exited to the Roku home and it is now fixed for all the apps.

I’m wondering if this is a specific bug with Netflix controlling all of them, or maybe since it happens to be the first app on my list that it set the subtitle/CC setting for all. 

Good luck!

0 Kudos