Subtitles turn themselves back on daily. Using Prime and Sling. Every time the system goes to sleep, I have to go back into settings and turn off captions. It resets captions to “on always”. I never use captions. Never have. However, when I forget to do this and start watching a show I have captions again. The subtitles appear and the * button doesn’t turn them off.
Below is the path I have to follow every time exiting out of what I’m watching to fix the annoyance.
@Halmus Thanks for the note here. It's possible that independent caption settings inside a channel may somehow be at play here. A couple things to try.
- Check inside each channel's individual settings and disable captions in each. Some channels have their own captions settings that are separate from the system settings.
- Try removing both Amazon Prime and Sling channels from the Roku home screen. Then, restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your device has restarted, then add both channels back once more and sign into them again.
I’m having the same problem the last few days. It is not the captions in individual apps it is most definitely the captions on the Roku itself. Every time I start a new stream in any app the subtitles are back on. I can turn them off and restart the same episode and they turn back on.
@Mike87 Thanks for the note here. A few more questions about the issue you're seeing:
- What streaming channel(s) are you using when you observe this behavior?
- Have you tried removing the channel, restarting your Roku device from Settings>System>System restart, then once your device is fully restarted, adding the channel back once more to see if this resolves the issue?
- When inside the channel's interface, are you disabling closed captions within the channel itself, of through the Roku system settings menu by pressing the * key during playback, and turning captions off from the lefthand sidebar menu?
- When did you first observe this behavior occurring?
- What model of Roku device are you using? (Settings>System>About)
With more information, we can continue assisting you from there.
Removed Prime, Sling TV, and local news app. Restarted the device and reinstalled. Gave it a day.
Subtitles are back. The system seems to hold the setting while actively watching, if I happen to switch between apps. Not sure exactly how long it has to sit idle before the subtitle setting resets itself to "always on".
@Halmus Thanks for confirming. To keep troubleshooting, I'd suggest trying the following:
- Selectively remove one streaming channel, restart your device, then try streaming in the others to see if the issue recurs again. Do this one at a time with channels, to see if any particular channel seems to cause the behavior.
- If that still doesn't allow you to identify a particular channel, or the behavior continues, I'd recommend moving to performing a full factory reset on your device from Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Factory reset. This will clear all data, channels, settings, and login information from your device, and allow you to set it up again anew.