Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregLakes
Streaming Star

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

Try just updating Sling. Instead clicking on sling, highlight and press * and it will give you and option to just update sling.

0 Kudos
RobertoJ
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I wish.

I hit * on the Sling Icon and it gave me the option to "Check for Updates". I replied "Sling is up to date."

So I removed Sling altogether, again, and logged back in. The problem remains unchanged.

Believe me, I don't go around complaining on blogs. We just watch so many foreign programs and then watch CNN, that we just need to learn to go to settings-accesibility-captions to reset your software before going to CNN. 

I just figured, you give channels (or apps) the option of dressing up their pages. They choose to show or not show progress bars under the icon of each episode. But they are not given an isolated Captions Menu. The menu of each channel is linked globally to your main settings. Doesn't make sense.

GregLakes
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I know it's frustrating. I was having the exact same issue with CBSN I when had the problem. But at some point updating the apps worked I can't recall what exactly the sequence of events that got me out of subtitle **bleep**. Try updating the CNN app?

GregLakes
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

...also, I think at some point after updates I may have unplugged the device (I have TCL Roku tvs) and waited 30 seconds and plugged them back in, maybe. Not sure. Something worked though and that was months ago.

gypsyBytes
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I had this problem with the CBSN app a long time ago. It fixed itself a week or so after talking about it in this post. I assumed either Roku or the CBS devs fixed it in an update.

Sflboxter

Jump to solution

Finally somebody with an answer for attempting to shut off the audio guide other than going into settings and hitting  off. mine keeps turning itself back on. I feel everybody is frustration. I'm going to try to make sure that my software is up to date fingers crossed if not I'll be back 🤣

0 Kudos
Pacecarguy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Looks like this is still an ongoing issue after all this time?  My Roku Ultra firmware and apps are all current.  I only use Sling and Plex.  I set the captions OFF in Roku.  After a few days I launch/watch an app and captions are on again.  I go to the Roku setting and it set to ON again.  What is turning this on?   I can understand how an app may have some override that would be controlled at the app level (which I don't use) but I don't understand how an app can change the Roku box setting in it's firmware.

I also just did a hard reset of the Roku, and reloaded/setup Sling and Plex 3 days ago and this morning they are back on/setting changed again.  This is getting very annoying.  

RobertoJ
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Pacecarguy, just curious, still trying to see if it’s the same problem. On the same viewing session, have you first gone to Roku’s main menu setting/accessibility/captions and turned off the captions, then gone to your Sling CNN and see no captions. Then go to... Plex you said? Turn on captions there probably via the *, and then gone to see if CNN had captions on again? 
Or do you not use captions ever anywhere and they are still just appearing by themselves in CNN? 

0 Kudos
Pacecarguy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RobertoJ I never use captions.  

0 Kudos
EdI
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Never use captions.  They just seem to come on randomly, or sometime not at all.  Happens on several apps, no real rhyme or reason.  I end up backing out of the app, going to settings, turning them off, and then watching. NExt time, sometimes they come on again, other times they don't. Sorry I can't be more specific...I've given up trying to resolve, and just live with the annoyance of having to keep turning them off.