Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

@DataDoc 

Thanks for the update.  Greatly appreciated in keeping forum informed!  

Just keep in mind that when your installed Channels receive periodic updates, a behavior or feature may begin and become available, or alternatively, disappear and become unavailable.  Good practice to check and become familiar with the Settings/Options menus of the installed Channel or the Control Block Overlays (ff,rew, pause, audio and video options, program info) when you notice something different occuring. 

In some instances, you may even find that it is a programming error/oversight by the Channel developer and no matter what you do, will not be able to fix until addressed by the Channel developer.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
RobertoJ
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

8/9/21

Here's something which points at Roku. 

We have two Roku Ultras, 2 Roku TV's and a small box... Express? (one tv in the RV)  They are all showing the problem. No matter if I restart the Roku system, or reinstalled AcornTV, Britbox, etc.

They all share the same problem. When you change the caption settings on one Channel (AcornTV, Britbox, etc). It changes many of your other channels. What do those channels have in common?

It is the Asterisk command. The Roku remote uses the Asterisk to select the Captions mode when I am in one of my providers.  Apparently, When you are, let's say, in AcornTV and hit the Asterisk button, the choose CAPTIONS ON ALWAYS, it is linked to the Roku main Menu-Settings-Accessibility-captions mode, and it changes it there too. It also changes the captions mode on the other channels that use the same Asterisk Button. 

The only one that is safe is Netflix because it has it's own Captions and Dubbing Menu.

So there you go. Separate the link between the Asterisk use on each channels. So they don't affect the other channels.

Common Roku!!!! Get it together!

p.s. Sling doesn's have a captions control.. you know, the supper delayed caption that pop up on CNN.. When that happens, you have to tturn of caption in Roku's Main Menu Settings. It sucks.

C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RobertoJ wrote:

8/9/21

Here's something which points at Roku. 

We have two Roku Ultras, 2 Roku TV's and a small box... Express? (one tv in the RV)  They are all showing the problem. No matter if I restart the Roku system, or reinstalled AcornTV, Britbox, etc.

They all share the same problem. When you change the caption settings on one Channel (AcornTV, Britbox, etc). It changes many of your other channels. What do those channels have in common?

It is the Asterisk command. The Roku remote uses the Asterisk to select the Captions mode when I am in one of my providers.  Apparently, When you are, let's say, in AcornTV and hit the Asterisk button, the choose CAPTIONS ON ALWAYS, it is linked to the Roku main Menu-Settings-Accessibility-captions mode, and it changes it there too. It also changes the captions mode on the other channels that use the same Asterisk Button. 

The only one that is safe is Netflix because it has it's own Captions and Dubbing Menu.

So there you go. Separate the link between the Asterisk use on each channels. So they don't affect the other channels.

Common Roku!!!! Get it together!

p.s. Sling doesn's have a captions control.. you know, the supper delayed caption that pop up on CNN.. When that happens, you have to tturn of caption in Roku's Main Menu Settings. It sucks.

i've never heard of the asterisk(options) controlling the captioning on Roku.  As the moderator has stated, the apps are not owned, managed or maintained by Roku. So why that is across many apps, you might have to address that to the developer/owners of the apps that's happening on. Not 
Roku. 

GregLakes
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Just do a system update which will update all your apps as well. I did that a long time ago and it fixed the issue system wide.

0 Kudos
tworocks
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So one app can save the caption setting and then reset it globally for all roku apps?

If it is truly so then it is not the greatest design.

Couple of roku millionaire-developers could figure out how to solve this over the weekend.

0 Kudos
GregLakes
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Works for me. I'm good with the platform. It takes a few seconds to try it instead of complaining about ROKU. Where's the TV app you designed. I've used them all and am very happy with ROKU.

0 Kudos
tworocks
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So you assume that nobody tried anything...

0 Kudos
RobertoJ
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Nope. That didn't do. The system updates automatically every day. It just told me I was already updated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RobertoJ
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes. The Roku remote control's asterisk button is the way to enter the Options on PBS, AcornTV, Britbox and Frndly. If you ask for captions on one App, all the apps are changed. They all get captions. I can handle that, If Roku cannot write the code to separate each App's Options from each other. But then you have Sling. CNN's captions go on, and I have to leave the app, and turn them of in the Roku System Settings every time. You know how abnoxious those super delayed captions can be in the News? There is no reason why I would want to use those ever. so every time I leave the captions on in one app, and I go to CNN in Sling, I have to backtrack out of it. It's not very practical.

I've been asked to talk to each app because it's not Roku's problem. What? I thought Roku was the mediator. I don't get it.

0 Kudos
GregLakes
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I just manually did it on 1 of my ROKUs and 3 apps updated. The automatic update doesn't update the apps.
Months ago it solved my subtitle issue.

0 Kudos