Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tworocks
Channel Surfer

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

I have to turn captions off on Roku Ultra on CBS, HBO, Amazon, Roku App, Hulu, and Amazon. It is not a problem with one app.  Either Roku system APIs are broken and Apps do not use them properly or there is a bug in the system.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@tworocks

Thanks for the post.

Customers are reporting that after they updated their CBS channel which had a recent update, they were no longer experiencing an issue. Have you tried that troubleshooting step to see if that resolves the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MikeKelehan
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Fixed for me. 

0 Kudos
tworocks
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

By troubleshooting step do you mean uninstalling and re-installing or just updating the app?

0 Kudos
RSC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

HI @RokuDanny-R 

Thanks for the follow up.  It’s apparent that this is not a unique or isolated issued based on the number of annoyed customers who’ve chimed in.

the issue for me is not with CBS but, every channel through my VMedua cable provider.  

0 Kudos
GregLakes
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

What's the procedure for updating a single app like CBSN?

0 Kudos
MikeKelehan
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@GregLakes wrote:

If you request a system update from the settings menu, it will check for updates for both the Roku system and every installed app.

Hoosierferg
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I deleted and reloaded CBSN app and that cured my problem. But I had mentioned the AXS app before  and it is not fixed. I deleted it and loaded it again and it still has the problem. I looked and CBS does have a stake in AXS since 2013 and they were initially put in charge of promotional aspects in exchange for stock in the original deal so perhaps they take care of website development for AXS. But it reacts exactly the same as CBSN was before. Contrary to other poster, I have not had the problem with HBO and other apps having captions turned on always, only after captions have been initiated by CBSN (previously), AXS (currently), and by extension Roku, and not turned off before opening those other apps.

0 Kudos
GregLakes
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@MikeKelehan wrote

If you request a system update from the settings menu, it will check for updates for both the Roku system and every installed app.

Thanks, that worked without having to uninstall/

@MikeKelehan wrote:

@GregLakes wrote:

Thanks, that worked without having to uninstall/reinstall.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@GregLakes wrote:

Highlight the app, press the Options (*) key, choose "check for updates"