Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giantmetalrabit
Channel Surfer

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

Usually, the laminated script in a binder is customer service personnel instead of an actual tech person,  wgo may have more insight and yes, I agree. This latest batch of postings is more current (obviously) but it does seem as though Roku has a recurring theme with the same symptoms. Same issue? Maybe, maybe not, although it would be nice for customers to not have to get frustrated time and again.

0 Kudos
Giantmetalrabit
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response although I don't feel a customer shoyld have to troubleshoot a tech bug. For example, what you are suggesting is, hypothetically:

I am a customer with 100 apps/channels with this issue. You would want me to remove 100 items and then have to reinstall all of them and sign into those which need login? How do you suppose that customer is going to react to your suggestion? I do not feel tgis is to be placed on the customer. Thank you again for responding.

nancylo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Subtitles keep turning on for me also.  I ended up calling CBS All Access and they seemed to fix it on my TV, hopefully for good.  I will wait and see.  So what they told me to do is this:  Open CBSN and turn it on so it's playing.  Hit the star * button on the roku remote and it will bring up options.  You will see the Closed Captions there and can turn it on or off.  It worked for me so far, hope it works for you also.

0 Kudos
Mike1123123
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Re the previous post -- have you tried leaving and returning to CBSN???   

I tried turning off captions as described (that was the first thing I did).  It SHOULD have worked -- and it does temporarily turn them off.  But next time I enter CBSN, well, they're back!!!    😞

nancylo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello Mike 1123123 -  So I got so fed up with subtitle turning back on that I was ready to cancel CBS All Access and vowed never to watch CBS again.  However, I decided to call CBS today.  And so far, it is fixed.  Here is what they told me to do (I posted this in another thread but not sure where) - So turn on CBSN that is showing the subtitles, then hit press the star * button on the Roku remote, there you will see the Closed Caption that you can turn on and off.  Hope this helps you.  It helped me so far they haven't turned back on and it's been about 45 minutes or so.  

0 Kudos
Mike1123123
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello!

But have you left the CBSN app, and then returned to it??  That's when my subtitles return...

RocPicCom
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I watch CBSN New York and Los Angles all day, and constantly turn off the subtitles, and they keep coming back.

steve111
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ditto with CBSN San Francisco.  Even after being disabled, the unwanted subtitles keep returning with each new login.

Mike1123123
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What I found interesting while watching last night -- I didn't even have to exit CBSN and return in order to cause the subtitles to show up.   Rather, even if I didn't touch the remote at all -- then after the segment of news stories ended and ads came and went, when the next segment of stories started -- yep, the subtitles were back....

Hoosierferg
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I’ve been getting the captions automatically turning on intermittently, and no discernible regularity, with Sling. And it is definitely the Roku setting that is turning them back on. .... This was never a problem until a couple of weeks ago. Also starting to have a problem of watching an app and Roku crashes and goes  back to the Roku boot-up screen with the bouncing letters. 

0 Kudos