Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Halmus
Reel Rookie

Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

4670x - Roku Ultra

System Update checked  

Subtitles turn themselves back on daily. Using Prime and Sling. Every time the system goes to sleep, I have to go back into settings and turn off captions.  It resets captions to “on always”.  I never use captions.  Never have.  However, when I forget to do this and start watching a show I have captions again. The subtitles appear and the * button doesn’t turn them off.

Below is the path I have to follow every time exiting out of what I’m watching to fix the annoyance.

Accessibility->Captions Mode->OFF

Human error or bug?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jeffaj
Reel Rookie

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

Had the same issue. I just went into settings and there is a "reset" option. After reset you will need to log into your youtube.com account again if you have one. I'm guessing there was a software update which failed to perform this action.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
187 REPLIES 187
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Halmus Thanks for the note here. It's possible that independent caption settings inside a channel may somehow be at play here. A couple things to try. 

- Check inside each channel's individual settings and disable captions in each. Some channels have their own captions settings that are separate from the system settings. 

- Try removing both Amazon Prime and Sling channels from the Roku home screen. Then, restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your device has restarted, then add both channels back once more and sign into them again. 

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Mike87
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem the last few days. It is not the captions in individual apps it is most definitely the captions on the Roku itself. Every time I start a new stream in any app the subtitles are back on. I can turn them off and restart the same episode and they turn back on. 

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Mike87  Thanks for the note here. A few more questions about the issue you're seeing:

- What streaming channel(s) are you using when you observe this behavior? 

- Have you tried removing the channel, restarting your Roku device from Settings>System>System restart, then once your device is fully restarted, adding the channel back once more to see if this resolves the issue? 

- When inside the channel's interface, are you disabling closed captions within the channel itself, of through the Roku system settings menu by pressing the * key during playback, and turning captions off from the lefthand sidebar menu? 

- When did you first observe this behavior occurring? 

- What model of Roku device are you using? (Settings>System>About) 

With more information, we can continue assisting you from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Halmus
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Tanner.  

Checked each channel's individual settings.

Removed Prime, Sling TV, and local news app.  Restarted the device and reinstalled.  Gave it a day.

Subtitles are back.  The system seems to hold the setting while actively watching, if I happen to switch between apps.  Not sure exactly how long it has to sit idle before the subtitle setting resets itself to "always on".

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Halmus Thanks for confirming. To keep troubleshooting, I'd suggest trying the following: 

- Selectively remove one streaming channel, restart your device, then try streaming in the others to see if the issue recurs again. Do this one at a time with channels, to see if any particular channel seems to cause the behavior. 

- If that still doesn't allow you to identify a particular channel, or the behavior continues, I'd recommend moving to performing a full factory reset on your device from Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Factory reset. This will clear all data, channels, settings, and login information from your device, and allow you to set it up again anew. 

Keep us posted from there!

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Acastro

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue on all my Roku devices every day I have to correct about to get of Roku all together 

PM1

Jump to solution

I have the same CC issues. CC is turned off on the tv and Roku but some channels have CC and some don't. 

It just started a few days ago and seems to be a software bug with Roku?

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Acastro @PM1 

Thanks for the information.

Are there specific channels that you are having this issue with? Each channel may have different settings to enable/disable closed captioning.

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Halmus
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I believe that this was already suggested by the support here, but I suspect the problem is with one of the Apps, not with the Roku itself.

I believe that my problem is with the BlazeTV app.  The subtitle issue definitely seems to follow that app and not come up with any other provider.  I've contacted them directly because they recently released an updated platform.  I suspect their software developers left a bug in the app.  Haven't heard back yet, but at least the problem is predictable for me now.

For anyone else experiencing this issue, turn off the captions in ROKU and go to a major company provider like Prime.   Call this app "A".

-Confirm there are no captions.

-Go to the next app you use and watch for a while.  Call this app "B".  Confirm no captions.

-Go back to app "A".  Confirm no cations.  If there are captions, app "B" is suspect.

-Go to all "C".  Confirm no captions.

-Go back to app "A".  Confirm no captions.  If there are captions, app "C" is suspect.

-Repeat until you find the problem app.

You should be able to systematically eliminate which app is suspect.  Since it doesn't appear to be a ROKO problem, there's only so much they can do to help us fix the problem.  Once the problem is identified, hopefully the provider will work to correct it.

0 Kudos