Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lane03
Level 7

Subtitle vertical position issue

I see many options in settings to customize subtile font, color, size; but not position. When playing a widescreen, 2.35:1, movie using the Roku Media Player SRT UTF-8 formatted subtitles appear half in the video frame and half in the black bars. Most video players place subtitles within the video frame, but the Roku does not for some reason. Please see below screenshot. Note, that the video in the screenshot does not have the black bars encoded as part of the video, these are generated by the Roku.

Can we please be given an option to adjust the vertical position of subtitles, or have the Roku place all subtitles within the frame of the video (like the majority of other media players)?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Console
Level 7

Re: Subtitle vertical position issue

"Lane03" wrote:
I see many options in settings to customize subtile font, color, size; but not position. When playing a widescreen, 2.35:1, movie using the Roku Media Player SRT UTF-8 formatted subtitles appear half in the video frame and half in the black bars. Most video players place subtitles within the video frame, but the Roku does not for some reason. Please see below screenshot. Note, that the video in the screenshot does not have the black bars encoded as part of the video, these are generated by the Roku.

Can we please be given an option to adjust the vertical position of subtitles, or have the Roku place all subtitles within the frame of the video (like the majority of other media players)?

This phenomenon exists through other devices as well.  Watched a Blu-ray DVD “The Insult” last night with subtitles half in and half out of frame.  It should always be in the video frame.  For those of us with projectors with which we can create a variety of aspect ratios without black bars, this is especially troublesome.  OPPO 203 (and I’m sure other players) allow vertical adjustment of subtitles.  And so should Roku!
0 Kudos
Lane03
Level 7

Bump.
0 Kudos
limpojm
Level 7

anyone knows if vertical position on captions can be changed on new os 9 ?
0 Kudos
limpojm
Level 7

dissapointed.... just updated to OS9 and still no vertical position option... how hard can it be to implement that .. really .. !!
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll be sure to pass the feedback along to the team for future considerations. 

-Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
limpojm
Level 7

Anyone knows if this issue is solved on new 9.1 ?
0 Kudos