Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nobska
Level 7

Subtitle fonts in OS 9 are very hard to see

Since the latest update, the subtitle fonts have become very hard to see. 

I depend on subtitles because my hearing acuity has been reduced over time. For years, the subtitle fonts you provided (in the 'Settings') were fine, but OS 9 changed the fonts for the worse. I typically use either yellow or white, but they are now virtually unwatchable.

I primarily use .srt files with .mkv videos (for Plex), and I've spent hours in settings trying to find one that is reasonably visible. For example, the color yellow is no longer bright and strong -- it's actually a faded yellow and blends into the background too much. The color white is even worse: the color simply blends into the background. Even after trying different sizes, outlines, etc., there isn't a font that's watchable. 

Do you have a plan to correct the font definitions? Subtitles on my other devices -- such as Apple TV -- are much more visible. I don't want to discontinue use of the Roku device, but I'll have to if this problem isn't corrected.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
denhow
Level 7

Re: Subtitle fonts in OS 9 are very hard to see

I also generally have the captions turned on because of hearing problems. I'm using these settings with no problems reading the captions:

text style sans serif proportional
text edge effect none
text size medium
text color yellow
text opacity 100%
background color default
background opacity 25%
window color default
window opacity off

I'm using a Roku 2 (4210X) with ver 9.0.0 build 4114-04. If these settings still aren't enough, you could try increasing the background opacity. Good Luck!
0 Kudos
JBL
Level 7

Subs are horrible in Roku period. I've gone back to my android player with Kodi for movies.
0 Kudos
Nobska
Level 7

"denhow" wrote:
I also generally have the captions turned on because of hearing problems. I'm using these settings with no problems reading the captions:

text style sans serif proportional
text edge effect none
text size medium
text color yellow
text opacity 100%
background color default
background opacity 25%
window color default
window opacity off

I'm using a Roku 2 (4210X) with ver 9.0.0 build 4114-04. If these settings still aren't enough, you could try increasing the background opacity. Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I know a background window would help but it really shouldn't be necessary. 

The subtitle colors/fonts on Netflix on my Roku 4 are fine -- probably because they use their own font definitions.  But Plex uses the Roku subtitle code, which is apparently based on the W3C 'Timed Text Markup Language'.  There's apparently something wrong with Roku's implementation of the code. 

Maybe I can try an older Roku box that doesn't have the latest OS, but then I'd lose the private listening capability. It's frustrating...
0 Kudos