Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming stick freezing issue

I have a Roku 1 that we use many hours per day with no issues whatsoever. I told my neighbor about our Roku and how much we use it. Since she's elderly and on a fixed income, cable programming is too expensive for her. She bought a Roku Streaming Stick 2 days ago and I have spent more time at her apt in the past two days than at my own, this thing is awful! I just got off the phone with a Roku rep who just did not listen to what I was saying and I am beyond annoyed and frustrated.

First issue, she called and said it was stuck on pause and wouldn't "click". Sure enough, that about covers it. Nothing on the remote would work. I unplugged it from the wall outlet for a minute, plugged it back in and once it got going, it was fine... Until about an hour later when she was clicking through to change to another channel and it froze again. Repeat this times 5 (me going down, unplugging, changing battery in remote x 3, getting it set back up, etc) and that's where I was an hour ago when I finally called Roku.

While waiting for a rep, I noticed that when it was "frozen" and wouldn't work, if I pushed on the back of the remote where the battery door was, it would then work again! Also, if I rolled the batteries around under my thumb, it would work again. After having changed batteries 3 times since yesterday (that had been my first thought), I knew the batteries weren't the issue. I was thinking that something wasn't working correctly in the remote.

The Rep told me how to use 3 buttons to "pair" the device, while not hearing me that I'm going down the hall to another apt each time this elderly friend needs my assistance. I told him that wasn't going to work and asked if this were an issue that they know about... to which he said he'd never heard of such a thing before.

Can anyone help with this issue? Should we just take it back and exchange it for another?

BTW, I moved the Westell box closer, in direct line with the t.v. when I first set up her Roku - The stick isn't behind anything, it's stuck out from her tv quite well, actually.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
knuckle
Level 7

Re: Streaming stick freezing issue

If rolling the batteries or pressing the back of the remote gets the remote "unstuck" my bet would be a defective remote -- loose solder connection to the battery or some such -- it is two days old I would exchange the unit
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply, Knuckle!

Yes, I think I will return it for her, as that was my thought too, about the battery connections.

Is there a way to wipe her login information, etc from it before I take it back?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos

Just for my own information... any idea why the remote issue would cause the picture or clicking for channel to freeze?
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

"mainely4knitting" wrote:

Is there a way to wipe her login information, etc from it before I take it back?

Yes. Do a Factory Reset from the Settings menu.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos

Thank you for that information, I appreciate it! Smiley Happy
0 Kudos

I have 2 Roku sticks. They both intermittently have the same problem. It appears the STICK gets into a closed loop in it's code and is not responding to commands from the remote. It seems to "time out" if you wait a few minutes and will respond to the last button pressed.
0 Kudos