Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomich

Streaming iPad to Roku device?

Jump to solution

Hi.   I’d like to stream video content that I’ve downloaded onto my iPad to a TV in my recreational vehicle.  If I get the Roku Express and hook it up to the TV, will it stream directly or does it require WiFi as well. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming

Jump to solution

A: yes, it requires a network connection between the Roku and the device storing the media.

B: if the video content is downloaded from iTunes, you cannot play it on anything but an Apple device. iTunes video (not music) contains Digital Rights Management (DRM) and will only play on Apple devices. If it's downloaded from some other location, but merely stored on the iPad, I believe you'll need to transfer the file(s) from the iPad to something else. I don't know of any media server solution that will run on an iPad that would be accessible from a Roku player. 

Now, there's one other option, and that's using Airplay. You can play the media on the iPad (which handles the DRM), and screen share the iPad to the Roku. Note that AirPlay isn't available on every Roku player. Depending on the model Express you get, it might not support AirPlay. Even buying new it's possible to end up with an older model, although very unlikely from a major retailer such as Best Buy. This page provides specific models numbers of the supported players. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming

Jump to solution

A: yes, it requires a network connection between the Roku and the device storing the media.

B: if the video content is downloaded from iTunes, you cannot play it on anything but an Apple device. iTunes video (not music) contains Digital Rights Management (DRM) and will only play on Apple devices. If it's downloaded from some other location, but merely stored on the iPad, I believe you'll need to transfer the file(s) from the iPad to something else. I don't know of any media server solution that will run on an iPad that would be accessible from a Roku player. 

Now, there's one other option, and that's using Airplay. You can play the media on the iPad (which handles the DRM), and screen share the iPad to the Roku. Note that AirPlay isn't available on every Roku player. Depending on the model Express you get, it might not support AirPlay. Even buying new it's possible to end up with an older model, although very unlikely from a major retailer such as Best Buy. This page provides specific models numbers of the supported players. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos