Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Streaming from one Roku to another

I have two Roku ultras.  One on my living room and the other in my office.  The one in the office has a powered USB hub where I have connected a couple external WD 2TB hard drives with movies and TVshows that have been converted to Roku compatible mp4 format.  The one in the office sees and plays the media without a problem.  What I want to do is play those devices on the Roku in the living room without having to move the hard drives.  This is NOT mirroring but streaming from one Roku to the other.  Is that even possible?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Streaming from one Roku to another

@Rdjntx wrote:

I have two Roku ultras.  One on my living room and the other in my office.  The one in the office has a powered USB hub where I have connected a couple external WD 2TB hard drives with movies and TVshows that have been converted to Roku compatible mp4 format.  The one in the office sees and plays the media without a problem.  What I want to do is play those devices on the Roku in the living room without having to move the hard drives.  This is NOT mirroring but streaming from one Roku to the other.  Is that even possible?

No, it's not possible. Roku does not have a server functionality in any player. Since your media is all in a Roku supported format, you might check your Internet router and see if it offers a media server function. Many do, but they don't have the power to transcode, so the media needs to be compatible (as yours is). You would then use the Roku Media Player to access the media from either Roku. 

If your router doesn't have a media server, then you could install one on a computer on your network. It would have to always be on, but then you have the advantage of enough power to transcode files if needed and the ability to add storage space if needed. 

Media servers come in two flavors: proprietary and DLNA. The proprietary servers offer apps/channels for the players, and usually have nice looking user interfaces that mimic something like Netflix. They may or may not also offer DLNA functionality, so can be used with players that don't have a proprietary app. Examples of these are Plex and Emby.

DLNA servers provide an open source method of streaming media, and will stream to any device that supports the DLNA protocol. Most smart TVs, Blu ray players, and so on will stream from it. A DLNA server might also offer mode control or customization on how the media is presented. The downside is you have to use whatever player interface is available on the device, and many are rather bland. My suggestion for this is Serviio, but I am biased as I wrote the Roku profiles that Serviio uses. There are others available as well.

Most of the products (proprietary and DLNA) are either free or offer both free and paid versions. And a handful have no free version. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks much for the most excellent reply.  I really think it is probably the best reply to anything I have posted in ages.   I didn't think it was doable but held out some hope.  On to other things  I am def. going to look at your suggestion  thanks again 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

i would make a computer as a server.

plex is one.

it can play more video formats.

once set up, i think it would be easier.

turn on the computer when you want to watch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@1zodiac wrote:

plex is one.

Unless someone really has to watch their cash, I recommend leaving the computer on full time. Especially if it's on a different floor than where you want to watch. Smiley Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@atc98092 wrote:

@1zodiac wrote:

plex is one.

Unless someone really has to watch their cash, I recommend leaving the computer on full time. Especially if it's on a different floor than where you want to watch. Smiley Happy

well,that's another subject.

once i had up time of over a year before a reboot,and it was running windows Me.Smiley Happy

personal server doesn't need to be on all the time,just when you need it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@atc98092 wrote:

I think both solutions are viable for me.  not sure which way I will go.  I agree that unless you are seriously counting pennies that leaving the computer on is the way to go.  Only time my current machine gets rebooted is when there is an electrical outage.  I have solar panels that provide most of my electric (this months bill was .16 cents.  so I am not worried from that angle.  my Movies and TV shows .. (roughly 10TB and growing) are all in .VOB format and now .mp4.  I may set both up and see which one works the best in our environment 

0 Kudos