Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boomergal50
Level 7

Streaming Stick + vs older Roku 2 XD

Just bought the latest Stick + for our RV. In our home and cottage we have 3 of the older Roku 2 XD’s. Aside from better WiFi and improved remote, what are the other differences, and would it be worth replacing the older units, which work fine?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Streaming Stick + vs older Roku 2 XD

If the older devices work fine, and support all the apps (and the version of the apps) you want, there's no reason to change. If, after using the Stick for a period of time, you find it to be sufficiently faster or more responsive, you may want to consider it then. Otherwise, your current setup works, leave it be.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Boomergal50
Level 7

Thanks! It just occurred to me that perhaps I should have purchased a Roku with USB port for our RV. I have lots of movies on USB flash drives taped from Playon. Our RV’s new TV has a USB port but it only plays music and photos. From what I read, if I had Roku with USB input hooked up to my TV, I could then play those movies when we had no WiFi signal on cell. Which units would work?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

For the current models, only the Ultra has a USB port. With older players, the Roku 2 (4210), Roku 3 (4200 and 4230) and Roku 4 (4400) have one. There are some models even older than those with USB ports, but I wouldn't recommend going that far back in generations. Don't forget that your videos have to be compatible with a Roku, since you don't have any way to transcode them when using the USB port. This page explains the requirements better than I can here.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Boomergal50
Level 7

How cool is this! I have a Roku 3 and I tested movies I taped to a USB stick from Playon, they work great! So I will move the Roku 3 from our guest cottage to our RV. Now have to get a new Roku for guest cottage. I have two old model 2 XDs, are they faster than the new Roku Express? I put the new Roku stick+ in our home's guest room as it is further away from our router than any other location. Now I am salivating about a new Roku for our bedroom....my husband had heart surgery a few months ago and has fallen in love with the Roku in our bedroom, which he previously never used! I like the idea of the remote controlling TV on/off and volume.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

No the 2 XD would be terrifically slow compared to a new version. The Express would be far better, and the Stick + even better. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos