Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dwarthi
Level 7

Streaming Stick + latest update has resulted in display auto detect not recognizing 1080i.

Display auto detect no longer identifies my TV as 1080i, it sets it to 1080p and then I have to manually reset the Roku because the 1080p it defaults to is not viewable on the TV. Since there is no manual selection available for 1080i, I have to select 720p in order to use the streaming stick +.
Once again an upgrade has created a new issue. Very tired of this pattern from Roku. Guess the message is I need to switch to another product.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Streaming Stick + latest update has resulted in display auto detect not recognizing 1080i.

... or get a more up to date tv.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
ElDavid
Level 7

Re: Streaming Stick + latest update has resulted in display auto detect not recognizing 1080i.

Your posting indicates that the Stick used to do 1080i - is this true, or was it doing 720p instead, and the change/problem is in the auto-detect?

I just got a Streaming Stick+ (3810) and to use it, I am having to downgrade to 720p (from Comcast 1080i), or as the previous reply from @makaiguy condescendingly puts it, spend numerous hundreds of dollars so I can use a $40 product that doesn't do what it says/implies.  If Roku knowingly does not support 1080i, they should say so CLEARLY in the specifications;  I have spent hundreds of dollars in time figuring out what was going on, and researching trying to determine if 1080i was the problem, etc.

Yours is the only post that talks about it as an upgrade problem.  There are some others (search "1080i") that imply Roku has never supported 1080i and never will, but I can find nothing by a Roku person saying either way.  As it stands, my next research will be for an alternative that, when it says it supports 1080p includes the lower level 1080i, as most things do when they say it.

0 Kudos
Dwarthi
Level 7

I believe it is an upgrade issue.  My “ancient” setup has a Yamaha receiver that identifies the input channel and setting when you change sources.  Prior to the upgrade, when switching to the ROKU, it would display input 6, HDMI, 1080i.  Now it displays input 6, HDMI, 720p

0 Kudos
ElDavid
Level 7

Well, I have officially heard back from Roku support (request #3953528) -

"...inquiring the compatibility of Roku Streaming Stick + to play videos on 1080i.

Now all Roku products respective to their models support only 4k, HD, HDR, and 1080p, and Roku Streaming Stick + can support all of the mentioned video qualities. ..."

So, from the "Now", perhaps the did support 1080i and have decided to drop it.  More importantly, look at that list - it does NOT include 720p.

Roku is officially dropping 720p.  If your system currently uses it, you will NOT be able to count on it much longer.  So, according to this, it is not even a choice between 720p or another brand;  Roku will not be supporting 720p.  Our only choice is another brand - several others support 720p, and I am looking for one that still supports 1080i.

So much for their lies on their website, that they support "up to 1080p" resolutions and the 4K, HD, HDR.  Bye bye Roku.

0 Kudos
ElDavid
Level 7

Well, apparently they have cleaned up (or are cleaning up) their website, and removing all references to 720p support.  The email message I got was

"... the Roku product with 720p resolution is no longer available in the Roku website. We will keep our team posted about your feedback ..."

and they have marked it as "solved".  So we can expect an update in the near future to drop 720p, and make the $40 Roku product useless unless we spend $400+ to meet their needs.  Seems backwards to me, but what do I know, I only spend the money they don't want.

And of course we know what they will do with the 'feedback' - nothing.  Drat.  I would rather have given them the money, as opposed to Amazon Firestick or some such.  But they don't want our business.  Luckily, I can still return the product for a refund.

0 Kudos
ElDavid
Level 7

See my final posts about the surprises waiting in your 'next' upgrade:  720p going away.

0 Kudos
robbiestewart89
Level 9

@ElDavid wrote:

Roku is officially dropping 720p.  If your system currently uses it, you will NOT be able to count on it much longer.  So, according to this, it is not even a choice between 720p or another brand;  Roku will not be supporting 720p.  Our only choice is another brand - several others support 720p, and I am looking for one that still supports 1080i.

So much for their lies on their website, that they support "up to 1080p" resolutions and the 4K, HD, HDR.  Bye bye Roku.

The Roku Express still supports 720p. Although my old Sharp Aquos TV supports up to 1080p, I manually have mine set to stream at 720p since we're on Comcast Xfinity's 25 mbps down / 2.5 mbps up plan and we have an average of six devices connected to the modem gateway at any given time.

Robbie Stewart
0 Kudos
ElDavid
Level 7

I only repeat what Roku Support tells me.  See the quotes in both postings - Roku is not going to support anything less than 1080p;  when that update comes out, who knows, it will be a(n unpleasant) surprise for everyone using 720p, just as it was for those using 1080i.  And some of us don't feel like plunking down the hundreds to upgrade to a marginally (un)noticable difference on 1080p over 1080i.

Sam, Dec 28, 2020, 4:42 PST:  "... Now all Roku products respective to their models support only 4k, HD, HDR, and 1080p, ..."

Raji, Dec 30, 2020, 15:17 PST:  "Unfortunately that the Roku product with 720p resolution is no longer available in the Roku website."

And:  "Your request #(395xxxx) has been marked as solved."

I guess "You have been warned" is the best they will do before they surprise you with some update in the future.  You're either going to have to upgrade the Comcast level or find another streamer when they do.  Unfortunately, my Sharp Aquos TV only goes to 1080i, so we are SOL as soon as they drop 720p, so there is no reason to go with Roku at all, since I can still return it for a refund.

0 Kudos
robbiestewart89
Level 9

@ElDavid wrote:

I guess "You have been warned" is the best they will do before they surprise you with some update in the future.  You're either going to have to upgrade the Comcast level or find another streamer when they do.  Unfortunately, my Sharp Aquos TV only goes to 1080i, so we are SOL as soon as they drop 720p, so there is no reason to go with Roku at all, since I can still return it for a refund.

OK, thanks. But since you have an older Sharp Aquos TV like me, I would suggest returning your Streaming Stick Plus and downgrade to the Roku Express instead since it is basically designed to be a starter box for new users. New users also typically have older TV's that aren't compatiable with the newer resolutions like 4k and the newer HDCP 2.2 protocal on the HDMI port, which might actually be where your problem is at with the Streaming Stick Plus. The Roku Express only supports HDCP 1.4 which is what is standard on older TV's like ours. My mom was looking for Christmas preset recomendations for me and asked me about upgrading me to the Roku Premire, which is the next device up from the Roku Express and it supports 4k resolution, but I told her not to get it since my TV doesn't support 4k nor HDCP 2.2.

Robbie Stewart
0 Kudos