Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skyline
Level 7

Streaming Stick 3800R Too Hot?

I just got a Roku Streaming Stick 3800R and noticed that the temperature is 99-102C after watching Youtube. Is this normal? Idle seems high as well at 80-85C with ambient temp around 70F (21C).
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MrDifficult
Level 7

Re: Streaming Stick 3800R Too Hot?

Assuming you are not mixing up your Celsius and Fahrenheit (which seems very possible),  yes, that's very high.  My Stick + idles at 100 F (38 C) 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

If you can touch it, it's not 100 C. While I've noticed my stick (3600) can get quite warm, it's never too hot to grab a hold of.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
skyline
Level 7

Temperature is of the chip. You can check it by accessing the secret menu. Temperature of the case doesn't tell you much of anything. You can access by secret menu by pressing the home button 5 times then forward, pause, rewind, pause, forward.

Just got my Roku Express+ 3910 in and I'm getting temps around 20C cooler than the stick which seems much more inline with ARM chips in tiny enclosures. Mid 60C idle and around 80C after streaming.
0 Kudos
k9gardner
Level 7

FYI the display does say (in my case) 109 C. Are you saying that that’s not degrees Celsius? It’s too hot to keep your hand on it for long - on the exterior - so I think it’s safe to assume that the chip itself could well be 109 C.

I didn’t see anything here on what to do about it. The software actually gave me a pop-up on the screen that it was running too hot, which is why I’m looking at it.

(Woops mine is a 3800X by the way, if that makes a difference.)
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Forum Rules

Please start a new thread.  General guidelines of what information we need can be found here.  In particular, we need the serial and model number, as well as your current firmware version and build number (all found in Settings > System > About).

Thread closed.  Again, please start a new thread with the relevant information so we can provide support!
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos