Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ggshaffer
Reel Rookie

Streambar Pro, Ultra inside?

Just set up the Streambar Pro to replace and upgrade (?) my Ultra. Streambar Pro seems to have greater lag and more frequent buffering than the Ultra did. Does anyone know which version Roku player is built into the Streambar Pro? Better sound but Roku player downgrade

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Streambar Pro, Ultra inside?

According to Wikipedia, the Ultra has a Realtek 1319 with 2GB of RAM and 4GB of storage. The Streambar Pro has a MStar C2 with 1GB of RAM and 512MB of storage.  It looks like the Streambar Pro does not exactly match any standalone player.

0 Kudos
ggshaffer
Reel Rookie

Thank you. That's what I thought. I upgraded the audio but downgraded the actual Roku performance. Why would Roku do that? Wouldn't you expect the best performance from their most expensive device? Can I use the Streambar Pro, Subwoofer and extension speakers with my "old" Roku Ultra?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I would say that’s pretty “normal” across most kinds of products.  Higher-end separate components tend to be aimed at enthusiasts who are willing to pay quite a bit for each component.  Integrated devices are normally aimed at more casual users and are more focused on ease of use and the devices are typically much more constrained in the budget for each component.

If you really want some good sound, it's possible to pay half a million dollars on just a really good amplifier, but most of us have to live with things designed to a budget!

0 Kudos
ggshaffer
Reel Rookie

Had a good component system. Wires, hardware and remotes everywhere. Bought the Streambar to simplify. Audio performance is okay (for my old ears). Didn't think about the actual "Roku" functionality being less. My bad. Streambar has a USB port. Can it be configured like the Ultra to add "app" storage to lessen buffering?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

The USB ports on Roku devices are only for media playback and don't add any storage.  The older Ultra and some other models had a microSD card slot to add channel storage.  I don't think any current models still have a slot, but a couple have a USB port.

I think you can use all that stuff with your Ultra.  I'm using a Streambar (not pro) that way connected to my TV's HDMI-ARC port and using a Roku 4k stick (not sure of the model number), but I don't have all the peripherals you have.  It mostly works, but I get some strange sound issues with some of my media (OTA TV recordings) that I don't get if I play the media directly on the Soundbar.  I haven't noticed any issues with any of the normal streaming services.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ggshaffer
Reel Rookie

Thank you. I'll give that a try with my Ultra. Maybe someday they will have a "Streambar Ultra" positioned above the "Pro"! With specs to match.

0 Kudos