Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Stream the signal from my home TV to my Web-connected laptop or Ipad

Hello, I used to have a Slingbox – used it for many years to stream the signal from my home TV to my Web-connected laptop or Ipad that I carry with me on my travels. Does the Roku product do the same? It looks like it does a lot more than this but I just wanted confirmation that it can stream my data via the Web when I am away from my home?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 21

Re: Stream the signal from my home TV to my Web-connected laptop or Ipad

No, a Roku is nothing like a Slingbox, but you can travel with one.  You'd need something like Plex running on a computer at home and the Roku channel to access your home media.  In addition, you'd need some kind of separate tuner if you really wanted to access the TV signal.  But then again, if you had the Plex setup you wouldn't really need the Roku (which requires a TV).  Traveling with a Roku is more about having access to services like Netflix and Hulu and viewing them on a TV instead of a computer screen.

0 Kudos