Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danitaz
Binge Watcher

Strange app flashing on home screen on Roku

I post this only to document an issue that might happen to others.  It seems to have resolved itself for me, so I need no support!  I've had about 6 different Roku devices since 2008.  Prior to last week, the most recent was a Roku Stick that we purchased about 7 years ago.  It has served us well, but because it didn't have an IR remote, and we needed a "universal remote" to control our TV, Roku Device, Soundbar, Apple TV, and HTML switch, it was time for a new device.  So we purchased a Roku Express.  It arrived last week.  I set it up, and it worked for a day or so, and then in the "home" view, all of the apps showed no icons, and the "blank" icons kept "strobing" (I can not think of a different word to describe this - these blank icons just kept bouncing up and down).  I went through the display settings, changing from Auto to 720p to 1080p and it just eventually seemed to fix itself.

Today I was trying to see what someone else had reported with Guest Mode (note:  don't do this just for fun - it makes you re-enter all of your logins - hehe), and on exiting Guest Mode I suddenly had this issue again!. I played around with the display settings, really changing nothing but switching the display settings back and forth and eventually settling back where it was in the first place, and it seems fine again!  I do not know what caused this, but it was an annoying issue that seems to be corrected by just fussing around with the display settings a few times.  We have a pretty "dumb" TV because all of the smarts are provided by Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast and a Soundbar, so it could very well TV related.  However, I'm posting because it happened twice, but by switching around the display settings a couple of times, it has resolved itself twice now!

Happy streaming!

Danita

Roku Express, Roki Streaming Stick, Roku TV.
I'm not a Roku employee. Just a TV streaming geek since 2008!

If this post solves your problem you can help others find the solution too! Just click "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Strange app flashing on home screen on Roku

If you just bought it why don’t you return it? It’s that easy 

0 Kudos
danitaz
Binge Watcher

I think you don't understand the nuance of "intermittent or one time issues" that resolve themselves.  I don't need to return this because it seems to be a one time issue on "setup" that might benefit others to know about.  It's an initial issue that is not a show stopper!

Roku Express, Roki Streaming Stick, Roku TV.
I'm not a Roku employee. Just a TV streaming geek since 2008!

If this post solves your problem you can help others find the solution too! Just click "Accept as Solution."
Lkaeser
Reel Rookie

This has been happening to my Roku express off and on for several months. I've owned mine for a few years. I have to unplug both cords and then plug back in again. It's so strange because it will happen several times over a week or so and then not happen for a couple weeks. It doesn't seemed to be triggered by any specific app or usage. Very strange! I would seek tech help, but with it being so intermittent it's hard to know if any "fix" was working.

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @Lkaeser

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, when you turn on your Roku device, does it automatically launch a channel? And rebooting your Roku device resolves the issue? Have you tried changing your theme or screensaver to see if that will make a difference? Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Lkaeser
Reel Rookie

When I turn on my roku it does not automatically launch a channel. It comes up to the home screen with the apps on it. The flashing occurs after I have been on an app and return to the home screen. It is quite random and may happen several times in a short period or once and then not for weeks. It is not always the same app that I leave. Unplugging the roku and plugging it back in has always fixed the problem. I have not changed the screensaver or the theme. If they were the problem, I would think that it would happen regularly. 

0 Kudos