Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mikepfly2
Level 7

Stop Roku Ultra from Changing Resolution back to Auto Detect

I set my new Roku Ultra to be 4k HDR 30hz, which works fine. If I set it to auto detect it flashes black sporadically (mostly when watching Netflix or Hulu). Reading on the forum suggested I manually set the display type which seemed to fix the annoying flicker. Now, every so often when I want to use the Roku I'm prompted that the Roku is resetting the resolution back to Auto. I don't think it has to do with the programming because it pops up right when I start Roku, I didn't choose a non-4k show or anything. I don't want it on Auto, if I did, I would choose that setting. 

It's a minor annoyance for me as I know how to change it but when guests are over or, if my wife wants to use the Roku, I cannot have them needing to go to settings every time to avoid the flicker issue.  Is there anyway to just leave the Roku display setting as-is?  Could it be some handshake issue with my receiver that is prompting the reset resolution request? I'll plug the roku directly into the TV and see if the setting asks to be changed but I don't want that to be the long term solution.  I just want the Roku to keep the setting I selected. 

TV: LG OLED55B6P
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR747
Cables are HDCP 2.2 high quality HDMIs
0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: Stop Roku Ultra from Changing Resolution back to Auto Detect

So nearly 2 months and no reply. Hello...Roku forum admins?
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

The Roku will switch back to autodetect if it believes that the tv has changed and it doesn't support the current manual setting. In order to prevent the dreaded black-screen/invalid video format it resets back to auto-detect.
With the Onkyo between the Roku and the TV, it might be waking up and getting a transient setting from the Onkyo that doesn't support 4k.
Plugging the Roku directly into the TV should fix the problem however if you want the Roku to be plugged into the AVR you might need to change the power on order of the TV, Roku, and AVR.
I would suggest making sure the TV is powered up first before powering up the Roku.
0 Kudos

Thank you, I'll plug the Roku directly into the TV and see how that goes.
0 Kudos
mikepfly2
Level 7

Thanks. I'll try changing the power on order. I had the roku coming on first then the TV then my AVR. I've changed it to be TV, AVR, Roku. 
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Level 7

Two things to do to fix the auto-detect revert: Turn off the screensaver and disable automatic recovery  (5X Home, Down, Left, 3X Up)
0 Kudos
maverick1969
Level 7

My Roku keeps changing the bitrate back automatic as soon as I go to the home screen. Tried disabling the screen saver and the auto recovery. Nothing works and if I can't reduce my bitrate we use our data too fast. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"maverick1969" wrote:
My Roku keeps changing the bitrate back automatic as soon as I go to the home screen.  Tried disabling the screen saver and the auto recovery.  Nothing works and if I can't reduce my bitrate we use our data too fast.  Any ideas?

The bitrate setting has always been in a "hidden" menu, and is considered unsupported. It is reported that it didn't work with sites that use Adaptive streaming, such as Netflix and Amazon. The bitrate control has been removed from what has been mentioned here. Are you referring to the screen resolution changing back to Auto?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
maverick1969
Level 7

Bitrate control is what I am referring to and was the main reason I purchased Roku and pitched my old RCA. When I suddenly went through my monthly data in a short time I went looking for the cause and have since discovered I'm not the only person irritated by Roku and the decision to deactivate this feature. Goodbye Roku, hello Fire Stick. Hopefully it works as we have no choice on IP's in our area. Either way, I won't ever buy a Roku again.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"maverick1969" wrote:
Bitrate control is what I am referring to and was the main reason I purchased Roku and pitched my old RCA. When I suddenly went through my monthly data in a short time I went looking for the cause and have since discovered I'm not the only person irritated by Roku and the decision to deactivate this feature. Goodbye Roku, hello Fire Stick. Hopefully it works as we have no choice on IP's in our area. Either way, I won't ever buy a Roku again.

Either way you're replying to the wrong thread. Good luck with Amazon.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos