Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fjg
Reel Rookie

Software update

Jump to solution

I have just turned on my Romulo and a notice is in middle of screen saying ‘Found new software via network. Press ok to start update. Press exit to ignore.’ 
I can’t do either! Ok does nothing, nor can I exit the screen! Help please. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Fjg
Reel Rookie

Re: Software update

Jump to solution

Sorry it should have read Roku (self corrected). In fact...just discovered it was our tv that wanted to update...not the Roku!  Which is why the Roku wasn’t reacting!!!  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

What is a Romulo? Roku devices do not find software updates "via network". Yes, they do update over the Internet, but I've never seen a message worded like that. 

You might try unplugging your device and then seeing if the message is gone when it reboots. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Fjg
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sorry it should have read Roku (self corrected). In fact...just discovered it was our tv that wanted to update...not the Roku!  Which is why the Roku wasn’t reacting!!!  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Self correcting text can be a real pain 😛 Glad you figured it out. It's easy to confuse a message from the TV OS with something that is connected to the TV. 😄

Dan

thatguybunger
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The update has caught up to my devices and bricked 5 of the 6 roku devices.  It won't let me "connect" to any network (wireless or hardwire) and I can't stream at all.

I have tried the network reset, system reset, and even factory reset...still nothing.

100% on Roku.  Very much leaning towards ditching and just getting all amazon stuff at this point.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@thatguybunger What model Roku devices do you have? I haven't seen any firmware updates for any of my devices since December except for the Ultra 4800.

First you say it's bricked, then you say it won't connect to the network. I recognize that without a network connection it doesn't do anything, but that's not the same thing as bricked.

Can it see your network but cannot connect, or is your home network not being shown at all? With some additional information perhaps we can help troubleshoot. 

Dan

0 Kudos
thatguybunger
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

My definition of bricked is an update keeping my unit from performing the basic functions.  The updates, while from a few months back, interact differently per model.

My 65R15 model sees a network, will connect (it'll show connected and then internet, check boxes in both circles), but ZERO aps work.  When I go back to check network connection, it'll show the green checkbox in network, but a red x in the internet connection.

Every other device in my home works fine.  I have 2 Amazon fire boxes/sticks.  I have two LG OLED smart TV's.  I have a NVidia Shield TV, and 2 Xbox ones.  All connect and stream just fine. 

The following Roku Devices will not work.  It all has to do with the time, I am 100% certain, based on the error the disney app gives me about the device time not matching

65R15 (TCL TV)

Roku Premier +

Roku Ultra

Roku Sharp TV

Roku Hisense TV 1

Roku Hisense TV 2

I have tried factory resetting the Sharp TV, as it is where I was.  Once I go to start a factory reset, it will not reconnect.  I had this same issue happen last week, and nothing worked.  Overnight I believe the time piece was pushed through and they sync, but for some reason when they update the time is not right.  My 65R15 thinks it is 3 AM right now, and the Roku Ultra thinks it is a little after 1 PM.  When I try to "automatically" get the time it won't, because it won't connect.  I've tried the network connection reset, I've tried the system restart.  Being that it's happening on all my devices, that assures me it is a roku issue, and not my issue, as it is not impacting any other device in my house.  

Note:  Earlier I stated one of my Hisense TV's was working, I was wrong.  It is doing the same thing.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The first thing to check with WiFi connection issues is the channels your access point/router is using on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Virtually all are set to auto-assign the channel, and it might even change the channel if it deems it necessary. But on both radio bands there are channels that don't work with Roku devices. For 2.4 GHz, the channel must be 1-11. If it sets itself to 12-14, the Roku won't even see it. For 5 GHz, it must be a non-DFS channel, so it must be below 49 or above 148. Many connection problems have been resolved by changing the channel in use. 

Dan

thatguybunger
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks.  Tried that already.  Did that last week when the issue happened the first time as well, and what the lady on the TCL roku support told me to do.  It didn't fix the problem then or now.

Roku always had issues with the 5.0, so I never used it.  Just for kicks and giggles I did try it this time, still no go.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

A little interesting that the Firesticks are connecting but not the Rokus as they have pretty similar network needs.  Have you tried lowering the bandwidths and assuring that you have at least protocol/mode N enabled in your Wireless Settings?  Preferably modes g/n (2.4) and AC/N.(5) Another section to look at would be to see if you have any Access Restrictions/MAC filter etc.  Did you assign static LAN IPs or maybe the lease times of the DHCP server didn't renew.

If you have bandwidths set to 80, the Firesticks should drop off, so I would assume you are probably set to 40.  Maybe lower to 20 or 20/40 on both bands.  Could just be getting too much interference.  You do have a lot of devices battling for space.  Since never really worked with the 5gz band, really seems like a configuration issue.  Even with a misconfigured 5gz band, all the roku devices you listed should see the 2.4gz if it is enabled and broadcasting, set to the correct protocols, channel, and bandwidth.

Personally, if I encountered that many devices falling off the network, verified all the settings, and still couldn't connect, I would factory reset my router.  Honestly, I really doubt it is a software update issue causing this.  If you want to troubleshoot further, provide your router model number and what your current wireless settings are, if using custom router firmware, etc.  single or dual SSID.  For some, a new router was needed, but never hurts to troubleshoot first.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos