Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Software update freezes

I’m setting up my Express for the first time and it seems to force me to do a software update, but it freezes every time. I’ve unplugged it and tried again a few times and it still freezes. 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Software update freezes

I have the same issue on my Roku Express+.

I  tried updating the device to the 9.3 firmware several times: the update process reaches 100 percent, ithe roku resets, then I get the bouncy letters for about half a second, and then a black screen. All I can do is reset the Roku by unplugging it or by pressing the reset button, and when it reboots the firmware is not updated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi, I'm having the same issue.  Two of my devices will update, but one will not.  It downloads the system update, reboots, Roku bounces across the screen and turns off.  When I check to see if it has updated it has not.  Any idea yet on how to fix this issue? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same problem, two devices work fine  but a fresh install on a third device freezes. Screen message "Please wait. Do not remove power..."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

OK everyone. Here's a trick that makes absolutely no sense, but for some strange reason has worked for many people. Since you're still stuck on the initial setup page, go ahead and do a factory reset to completely clear the Roku. Fine the hidden reset button (usually recessed in a small hole, but might be a soft button on the bottom of the case). With the Roku powered on, press AND HOLD THE BUTTON FOR AT LEAST 30 SECONDS. And I mean that. 30 seconds minimum, regardless of what is happening on the screen. Now, when the setup starts from the beginning, use a phone hotspot to connect the Roku to the Internet. If you don't have a phone that offers it, see if someone else does, or try using the Internet at someone else's home. Any connection other than the one you first used. 

Once the setup completes, and it has worked for many users, then it can be connected back to your home network without an issue.  Again, it doesn't make any logical sense, but it seems to work.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Just to be clear, I'm not stuck at the setup page. In my case, my roku fails to install the 9.3 update immediately after downloading/rebooting. It bricks it instead.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Cosmo_Ju29ro wrote:

Just to be clear, I'm not stuck at the setup page. In my case, my roku fails to install the 9.3 update immediately after downloading/rebooting. It bricks it instead.

OK, a little different scenario. If you can't get it to boot to the home page, do you still at least see the dancing Roku letters when it's first powered up? That would mean the boot loader is at least starting. If you don't even get the dancing logo, then it likely is completely bricked, and I would contact @RokuDanny-R via a private message. If you at least get the dancing logo, you might as well try the hard reset. I don't think there's anything else that can be done if you can't get it to boot. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I see the dancing letter for a split second. Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thats like mine I see the dancing letter for a split second after update then black screen 

0 Kudos