Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Software update freezes

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for the information.

As @atc98092 mentioned, when trying to update a device (whether first time setup or updating to a new OS), we recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

We also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update your device. Then once your device is setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Chris83
Level 7

Done that still not working 

0 Kudos
Cosmo_Ju29ro
Level 8

I did actually try using a mobile hotspot, I connected the roku to it, and the only difference is that it took ages to download, but did not solve my issue. I am in no way an expert, but in my opinion the error lies with the wrong size or signature of the new firmware, rather than connection issues. Just my two cents.

0 Kudos
Cosmo_Ju29ro
Level 8

After 2 weeks the issue still exists for me, has anybody found a solution? 

Is there any way to block the automatic update so I don't have to unplug the roku every day?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Cosmo_Ju29ro wrote:

After 2 weeks the issue still exists for me, has anybody found a solution? 

Is there any way to block the automatic update so I don't have to unplug the roku every day?

No solutions other than what's been suggested. No, you can't disable auto updates. Unplugging or disconnecting the network connection are your only options. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Eddie2
Level 7

I wish I had seen this earlier, as I had the same problem today. Fortunately, after being stuck in the software update loop about 20 times, I used my mobile as a hotspot, as I have done that before on other devices. As you say, no logic to it - but it worked perfectly. After the updates and TV channels were installed I rebooted my router and restarted the Roku Streaming Stick +. Everything is now working fine. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
carlacardello
Level 7

Hi I'm having the same problem. Disney+ app is forcing me to update my system, but when I update my system it'll download, reboot, then I get the Roku logo for half a second then black screen and no signal. It also won't connect to a mobile hotspot for me to try it that way. Can someone please help?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@carlacardello wrote:

Hi I'm having the same problem. Disney+ app is forcing me to update my system, but when I update my system it'll download, reboot, then I get the Roku logo for half a second then black screen and no signal. It also won't connect to a mobile hotspot for me to try it that way. Can someone please help?

When you're stuck in this loop and nothing else works, a hard, factory reset is about your only option. You didn't state what model Roku you have, but for most players there's a recessed button on the back that has to be pressed with a pin or something similar. You have to hold the button for a minimum of 30 seconds, regardless of what's happening on the screen, or the reset doesn't work. You will then have to set your player up as if it was fresh out of the box. But assuming it works, you won't have to reinstall your channels. They will all populate based on what your account shows. You will have to log back into channels that require authentication, such as D+, Netflix, etc.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
carlacardello
Level 7

I believe it's a Roku Premiere based on the photos. If not, then it's Express. Ok doing the hard factory reset made it worse because when I get to the "Update Available" screen, it'll go back into its broken loop and can't use my Roku at all. Doesn't look like I can skip that part. Before that, at least I could still use my Roku minus the Disney+ app.

Also before I did that, I did manage to connect my mobile hotspot after resetting my network settings. Didn't work either.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@carlacardello wrote:

I believe it's a Roku Premiere based on the photos. If not, then it's Express. Ok doing the hard factory reset made it worse because when I get to the "Update Available" screen, it'll go back into its broken loop and can't use my Roku at all. Doesn't look like I can skip that part. Before that, at least I could still use my Roku minus the Disney+ app.

Also before I did that, I did manage to connect my mobile hotspot after resetting my network settings. Didn't work either.

I am sorry. From what you wrote I thought the player was stuck in the boot loop. I didn't realize your player was still functional. 

Dan
0 Kudos