Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fischer70
Level 7

Smart Guide Data source

Where does Roku get the dat for the Smart Guide? I use a small local cable operator that actually supports people not using a set-top box, so I get SD and HD channels direct without a box.  However, the smart guide is mostly in-accurate for me and actually overwrites the channel name that's coming from my cable provider.  Is there anyway to specify the identity of a channel so that the guide information is correct?  Does the smart guide only work for OTA channels and not for channels pulled from a cable operator?

Thanks! 
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Smart Guide Data source

I believe the Roku TV gets its guide information directly from the broadcast channel. We don't use cable, just OTA stations, and the guide is accurate for every channel. It's possible that your cable company doesn't keep the metadata in the transmission intact. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"fischer70" wrote:
Where does Roku get the dat for the Smart Guide? I use a small local cable operator that actually supports people not using a set-top box, so I get SD and HD channels direct without a box.  However, the smart guide is mostly in-accurate for me and actually overwrites the channel name that's coming from my cable provider.  Is there anyway to specify the identity of a channel so that the guide information is correct?  Does the smart guide only work for OTA channels and not for channels pulled from a cable operator?

Thanks! 

Below is the description of using a Cable TV Source with Roku Smart Guide from the Roku support pages. Sounds like if your cable provider does not have "in the clear" signals then the Smart Guide may not be accurate set up under ANTENNA TV input.

Connecting to a Cable TV Source

Connecting to a cable TV source
If you subscribe to cable TV, you may be able to receive some digital and analog TV stations, such as local TV stations, without using a set-top box to decode them. If so, you’ll need to connect the cable TV source (typically located in the wall of your home) directly to the “Ant/Cable In” connector on the back of your Roku TV. Consult with your cable company to find out if they have “in the clear” signals on your cable that will work on a standard TV RF input.

1. Connect the coaxial cable from your cable source to the “Ant/Cable In” connector on the back of your Roku TV.

2. Turn on your Roku TV, go to Home and select Antenna TV. If Antenna TV is missing, you can add it by going to Settings TV inputs > Antenna TV > Set up input.

3. Follow the instructions on the TV screen to complete setup.

• Notes:

• Many cable TV systems scramble their TV signals and require a set-top box to view the signals on a TV. Contact your cable TV provider for more information.

• Smart Guide is not available when watching channels from a cable TV source.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
fischer70
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestions!  The guide data definitely comes externally as I've got guide data for a local Fox station mapped overtop of Animal Planet.  If I change the zip code in System->Settings I get different guide information mapped to different channels, so somewhere Roku is mapping channel numbers against the zip code and providing the guide data over the network.   It's a nice feature I just wish there was a way to control that mapping as the broadcast channels aren't the same as the "in the clear" channels.  It seems like it will only work for OTA channels (at least for now), thanks for the suggestions though!
0 Kudos