Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ridleralma74
Reel Rookie

Sleep timer not available on streaming players?

Jump to solution

My sleep timer option seems to have disappeared. Ive looked in my settings and its no longer there. Ive looked in my short-cuts its not there either. Did they just get rid of it?

Tags (1)
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sleep timer not available on streaming players?

Jump to solution

Is this on a separate Roku device, or on a Roku TV with Roku capabilities built in? I can't recall ever seeing a sleep timer on a separate device, only on a Roku TV.

Additional resources you might find helpful:

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

One of the sad things which I discovered about using most any e-device is.............it seems not to be really belong to you. If it is linked to something else, it could be remotely changed at the real owner's updates or changes whim.  So I decided to add the features that cannot be changed by the same owners whenever the whim hits them.

Here is one add on device I use for my own Rokus: The Philips Basic Timer.  One version only has one plug in.  The one pictured here has 2.  Just set your selected time period plug in the unit and you good to go!  No more need to worry about what Roku decides to do when you DO IT YOURSELF!A Sleep Timer.jpg

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@scott205 

If you need a sleep timer for your Roku device, add an external smart plug or timer at your wall outlet and plug both your Roku device and TV into this timer or plug.  Then set the timer via a mobile app or manually and you have now equipped yourself with a sleep timer.

If you need the Roku device to continue streaming for longer than 4hrs, then try Disabling both Bandwidth Saver and Auto Power Saving (newer Roku devices) as well as Screensaver.  Note: even with these settings disabled, some channels/apps may still stop streaming after a certain number of hours and display their own screensaver (depending on the developer's choices).

Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver/[Off]

Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20-min [uncheck to disable]

Settings/Theme/Screensaver Start Time/[Disable screensaver]

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Cawd

Found the fix, to sleep timer

Jump to solution

download the Roku app onto your phone , connect to the Roku you have named and than at the top search bar that says movies, channels, ect, than search sleep timer, it will show up as a channel, add the channel and than your all set, go back and your good to go. It will now appear in the menu as the last app on your list. 🙌🏻 hope this helps most of you!! 

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Is this on a separate Roku device, or on a Roku TV with Roku capabilities built in? I can't recall ever seeing a sleep timer on a separate device, only on a Roku TV.

Additional resources you might find helpful:

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Ridleralma74
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It was on my roku express located in my settings under time and now its no longer there. So i have no way of setting a sleep timer.

Iona-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

One of the sad things which I discovered about using most any e-device is.............it seems not to be really belong to you. If it is linked to something else, it could be remotely changed at the real owner's updates or changes whim.  So I decided to add the features that cannot be changed by the same owners whenever the whim hits them.

Here is one add on device I use for my own Rokus: The Philips Basic Timer.  One version only has one plug in.  The one pictured here has 2.  Just set your selected time period plug in the unit and you good to go!  No more need to worry about what Roku decides to do when you DO IT YOURSELF!A Sleep Timer.jpg

0 Kudos
millenium
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've used ROKU's sleep timer on my 'device,' every day for a a few weeks and all of a sudden it's gone. I can not set a time to shut the tv off automatically anymore. It was a great feature. I don't want to add anything to re-create what was there by default i.e. a store bought timer. Just wish they'd leave things alone and stop taking stuff away. 

Iona-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Sadly, both life and Roku both generally does not operate the way you wish them to be.or act.  That's why if you possibly can or could, set up your devices more locally, under your control, or however you want to label it.  If it mean a separate additional device, I say so be it.  I am not under someone's remote control.

Although you are correct in stating Roku should leave such features ALONE!  Why try to fix something that's not broke!

Jump to solution

My device keeps shutting off after watching an episode . How do I fix issue 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Kelliesteed 

Two thoughts.  Either a Power Savings Feature is kicking in or your device may be underpowered.

1. Disable power savings under Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20 min inactivity

2. Try powering your device from wall with the power adapter rather your TV's USB power port. (can use 5volt 1amp cell phone charger adapter).

----

Depending on your Roku model, you may or may not have the Power Savings feature.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Kelliesteed 

Expanding @AvsGunnar’s reply… Do be aware that only seven Roku device models released thereafter the fall of 2020 have a Power sub-setting, because those use Realtek RTD131X SOC processors.  

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Crissiek

Jump to solution

I can’t find a sleep timer either.. it sucks because even if my TV goes off, it keeps streaming and wasting my data!