Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john9a
Level 7

Shocked by New Roku Ultra slow performance

I've owned Roku's for a few years, and have been satisfied enough to buy 3 now, and give a couple as presents.
My previous Roku 3 was and is a Champ, Love it.
Then I got the Roku Ultra for another room.
First indicators were some problems during initial setup, freezes, etc. After around 3 different issues, it did start. 
But I ignored that as a 'startup' issue.
Then the immediate need for an update. A very, very slow update, slower than Roku3 had ever needed.
Things like adding new channels were taking a very Long time, but I still didn't worry, this was the first time setup.
Then I added channels later, and again, it was very slow to add new channels.
Removing a channel was also very slow. And even just normal usage, the unit was slow.
I've compared it to my Roku 3, and I'm certain the Roku 3 is a much faster unit. I'm sorry I bought the Roku Ultra and being that it's quite new, I might see if I can return it and get a used Roku 3 as a 2nd unit.
 - I wonder how the Roku Ultra, which is supposed to have 'faster' and better hardware, is so outpaced by an old Roku 3?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Shocked by New Roku Ultra slow performance

Probably a bad unit. Why not return for replacement?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

While my Ultra is the 2016 version, I've never had any such issues. I agree that there's likely something wrong with it and I would get a replacement.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bkoprivi
Level 7

Bad news: Roku 3 also became extremely slow. It is currently updating Youtube channel for the last half an hour and it managed to update only 3%. 
0 Kudos