Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tom97531
Level 7

Search only shows paid movies

I just purchased a Roku Express. My search results won't show any free movies. For example, I added Crackle to my list of channels. If I search Crackle for the movie "The Shining", it will show up and I am able to watch it just fine for free. But if I try to search that same movie on Roku's home page, it only shows movies that you have to pay for. How do I get free movies to show up in my search results?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Search only shows paid movies

The search results are completely unrelated to channels/apps you've installed. Roku Search uses a information made available by the channel/app developers. If Crackle doesn't provide information about its movies (through either a decision to not allow it, or by a temporary technical glitch preventing the information from being available) then Roku won't show it in the search results.

As you've discovered, not every channel/app makes information available to Roku.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

I would rather pay than use Crackle's UI.
0 Kudos

My channel does not appear in Roku search results despite the fact that I have a channel description, here. Oddly, my channel (which has both a free and paid version) used to appear under searches for "art" (my subject category) but no longer appear. To find my channel you have to already know the full channel name and enter the first 5-6 digits. Since this not feasible by most users searching by keyword (i.e. "art"), this basically renders my channel invisible on Roku. Besides entering a channel description, is there some other secret sauce necessary to have Roku search function as it should?  In case it matters, I'm in the "Lifestyle" Roku category.  BTW, I believe keywords are no longer used by Roku.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"CreativeDigital" wrote:
My channel does not appear in Roku search results despite the fact that I have a channel description, here. Oddly, my channel (which has both a free and paid version) used to appear under searches for "art" (my subject category) but no longer appear. To find my channel you have to already know the full channel name and enter the first 5-6 digits. Since this not feasible by most users searching by keyword (i.e. "art"), this basically renders my channel invisible on Roku. Besides entering a channel description, is there some other secret sauce necessary to have Roku search function as it should?  In case it matters, I'm in the "Lifestyle" Roku category.  BTW, I believe keywords are no longer used by Roku.

I believe the OP was discussing content searches not searches for the channel itself. 

You might want to contact Roku directly through their developer contact methods.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos