Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ktjhw
Channel Surfer

Screensaver pause/play installs an app instead of starting video back where it was paused.

Jump to solution

Watching an app.  Hit Pause/Play.  When I come back quickly Pause/Play continues the video.  But if I am gone a little too long a screen saver starts and it has an ad for an app that installs if I press Pause/Play.  So many times I come back and innocently press Pause/Play to start the video back but instead Apple Play or something else gets installed.

So please get rid of that screen saver Pause/Play install.  Or at least prompt with a warning of what you are trying to do and ask if I want to install or continue the video.

I am tired of uninstalling apps I never wanted.  So far at least 20 times this has happened to me.  And when I look at the app list it is obvious my family is getting tricked into installing apps too.  I have spent a great deal of time uninstalling apps that no one in my house ever wanted.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Screensaver pause/play installs an app instead of starting video back where it was paused.

Jump to solution

Simple solution - don't use Play/Pause to dismiss the screensaver.  I know it seems intuitive to press Play to start your video, but the first button press is ignored when the screensaver is active except to install an advertised channel floating by on the screensaver.   Pressing Play will never start your video when the screensaver is active even if a channel isn't going to be installed, so there's no sense in pressing it.

Another solution - don't use the Roku screensavers that advertise other channels.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim

Re: Screensaver pause/play installs an app instead of starting video back where it was paused.

Jump to solution

Simple solution - don't use Play/Pause to dismiss the screensaver.  I know it seems intuitive to press Play to start your video, but the first button press is ignored when the screensaver is active except to install an advertised channel floating by on the screensaver.   Pressing Play will never start your video when the screensaver is active even if a channel isn't going to be installed, so there's no sense in pressing it.

Another solution - don't use the Roku screensavers that advertise other channels.

0 Kudos
ktjhw
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've come up with my own solution similar to those already submitted.  Stop before every button press and read the fine print in detail over and over.  Beware that buttons that have a distinct meaning(like Play/Pause which normally means Play or Pause and not Install an App you don't want) may have had their meaning changed so that you will screw up the video that you had merely paused.  And after failing to pay attention to the deception of the changing function of the button then you have to re-enter the app where you were watching a video and painfully navigate back to it.  This is even worse if you were watching a video on YouTube because when you go back into it it seems to forget anything about the video you were watching when you were unceremoniously exited from the app.  And you spend the next five minutes trying to bring up history and figure out where the video was.  But then after minutes of searching frustration you finally exit YouTube and go to the end of your App list and Remove the App that just got installed.  Which seems to be Apple Play for the hundredth time.  And then shut down Roku entirely and go to your computer to watch YouTube where the browser interface is much superior to the App functionality found on the Ruku.

0 Kudos
puzzledone

Jump to solution

I have been very frustrated with this as well.  And as I was searching for answer, I paused the movie I was watching and went to screensaver.  So instead of pushing play/pause, I pressed the "ok" button, and it went back to movie itself where it was paused— like a miracle. Now n=1 of this, so if it doesn't work next time, back to drawing board.  Now to remove screensavers that advertise other channels

0 Kudos
ktjhw
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The problem is the button is the Play/Pause button.  The fact is this button sometimes gets redefined to not be Play/Pause.  Sure I can find all kinds of tricks to avoid the mistake but with most Roku apps pressing Play/Pause returns to Play when paused.  So the habit is to press Play/Pause.  And generally after mistakenly pressing Play/Pause and an unwanted app starts installing there is so much confusion that returning to the place in the video where I paused is gone and I can only get back to the beginning. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@puzzledone, that's how it works.  The first button you press when the screensaver is activated is only to dismiss the screensaver.  You can press any (non TV control) button to dismiss the screensaver.  It will be totally ignored unless you press Play/Pause and you're using one of the screensavers with the little advertisements that float by.  If you use any other screensaver that doesn't advertise other channels you can press Play/Pause and it will do nothing other than dismiss the screensaver, so there's really no sense in ever pressing that button when the screensaver is active.

0 Kudos
SNAT

Jump to solution

Hi! I have a question about this situation, could you name the application where this happened? Was it a built-in screensaver or maybe you installed it separately?

0 Kudos
Natergator

Jump to solution

Changing the user’s behavior to go against a) what the button indicates on the remote and b) decades of using screensavers where the first button click does nothing but end the screensaver, IS NOT A SOLUTION!

The solution is to fix this long standing defect. 

0 Kudos