Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deandana
Reel Rookie

Screensaver behavior has changed

I've noticed this change lately and I'm not sure what the cause is or if a recent system update is not causing the screensaver to function as it did in the past.  I don't ever remember this happening and I've had my Roku for several years.

Using a Roku 3 (4230 series)

1. I'm using the basic theme with City Stroll: Movie Magic as the selected screensaver.

2. If I'm on the home screen, the screensaver functions normally (Movie Magic comes on after 5 mins, etc)

3. If I'm paused within a channel or merely in a channel, a different screensaver comes on after 5 mins.  The one that comes on is (I believe) the logo screensaver which looks like various "Roku" logos raining down the screen.

Is this the way its supposed to function ?

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

Labels (1)
35 REPLIES 35
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Screensaver behavior has changed

Some channels over-ride the default selected screensaver, and either blank the screen or offer their own screensaver. For example, YouTube will just go to a blank screen after the timeout period. I think Prime Video does the same. I dropped Netflix earlier this year so don't recall what they do, but I think it was their own screensaver.

Bottom line, it's working as intended. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
deandana
Reel Rookie

I've also noticed that there is a difference in screensaver behavior depending if I have a video paused within a channel or if I'm simply in a channels top level "home screen"

0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

@deandana wrote:

if I have a video paused within a channel

This has always been the case. Screensavers won't run on top of video.

Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos

How do I delete that ugly "logo rain" screensaver. I like a blank black screen or my own default one. Looks like a system update added a couple of UI changes (they added a stupid "(+) add channel" channel space) and now this stupid "logo rain" can't be deleted. Yeah I get it guys, it's a Roku, but I don't need to see your logo everywhere like it's a cheap DVD player from 15 years ago telling me constantly it's a "DVD", ooooh. #baddesign #updates

ethyss
Streaming Star

We have Roku 3 and ultra.  We have always had the screensaver app "Cloc" come on after 5 mins idle.  Some time about a year ago that stopped, although the system still shows we are set for Cloc.  

Any thoughts, suggestions?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@carsonmax2000 wrote:

How do I delete that ugly "logo rain" screensaver. I like a blank black screen or my own default one. Looks like a system update added a couple of UI changes (they added a stupid "(+) add channel" channel space) and now this stupid "logo rain" can't be deleted. Yeah I get it guys, it's a Roku, but I don't need to see your logo everywhere like it's a cheap DVD player from 15 years ago telling me constantly it's a "DVD", ooooh. #baddesign #updates

There's plenty of other screensavers to choose from. If you don't like that one then pick another. Is that so difficult? 

Dan

0 Kudos
deandana
Reel Rookie

That's the issue. Some Roku channels override the selected Screensaver and force the "Roku logo" screensaver on the user. There doesn't seem to be a way change it.
0 Kudos
atc98092

You're right that some channels force their own screensaver, but I've never seen one do that with a Roku branded SS. I'm not saying it isn't happening to you, just that I haven't see it. Of course, I only use a handful of channels, and while in use I rarely leave playback paused long enough for the SS to kick in. 

Dan

0 Kudos
krispyonion
Streaming Star

What's being discussed isn't the channel forcing its own screensaver on the user - the channel is using the default Roku screensaver, which for some reason is stuck on Logo Rain and not being set as the screensaver that the user selected.

I think the problem isn't screensavers but themes. It looks like the recent upgrade ticked the default purple theme as in-use, regardless of what's actually being displayed.

I use Nebula, and Nebula was displayed, but the purple was ticked. After re-selecting Nebula as the current theme, my selected screensaver (Cloc) is again showing up when I pause shows (except accurséd Hulu, with its own screensaver).

So try resetting your theme (if you use purple, temporarily select something else then switch back) and see if that makes Roku de-select Logo Rain and recognize your screensaver settings.

Edited to add: figured I should add, this worked for me briefly (got rid of Logo Rain, used my actual selected screensaver) - but then another update came through again and now the problem's back. So nuts to that.

0 Kudos