Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Screensaver behavior has changed

@krispyonion wrote:

What's being discussed isn't the channel forcing its own screensaver on the user - the channel is using the default Roku screensaver, which for some reason is stuck on Logo Rain and not being set as the screensaver that the user selected.

I think the problem isn't screensavers but themes. It looks like the recent upgrade ticked the default purple theme as in-use, regardless of what's actually being displayed.

I use Nebula, and Nebula was displayed, but the purple was ticked. After re-selecting Nebula as the current theme, my selected screensaver (Cloc) is again showing up when I pause shows (except accurséd Hulu, with its own screensaver).

So try resetting your theme (if you use purple, temporarily select something else then switch back) and see if that makes Roku de-select Logo Rain and recognize your screensaver settings.

Also note that you can disable Roku from displaying featured themes to your device. Go to the Themes menu and select Custom Settings. You can disable your device from switching to themes that are pushed out, such as Christmas or other holiday themes. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
krispyonion
Streaming Star

Again, that's not what's being discussed here. This isn't Roku pushing a featured theme - this is a glitch about which theme is in use.

Are you just trying to rack up your post count?

0 Kudos
ethyss
Streaming Star

I don't know about anyone else's screensaver issues because I've only ever used this one (Cloc).  All I'm describing is that the screensaver no longer appears when my screen goes idle after the appointed 5 mins.  All we now get is a blank black screen.  I do not believe it's the screensaver.  It seems more likely a Roku situation. 

ethyss
Streaming Star

It certainly seems Krispy totally misunderstood my original query.  

However the developer DID understand my question - responded - and totally solved the problem.  Thank you JT !

0 Kudos
Balzac_nyc
Reel Rookie

Screensaver has ALWAYS appeared in pause. Suddenly, I just get a dark screen. Maddening, as it makes you think your tv has shut down.  This began with Roku version 9.2.0.   Anyone have a fix?

0 Kudos
krispyonion
Streaming Star

I did not. If my mention of Cloc made it seem like a response to your post, my apologies - I was focused on the original-original query by deandana, which described the system ignoring the user's selected screensaver in apps that don't have their own (e.g. Hulu), and using Logo Rain instead.

Logo Rain is just that annoying.

BUT you could share the solution JT gave you, so other folks with the same problem can fix it.

0 Kudos
msm2481153

Yes please share the fix
0 Kudos
ethyss
Streaming Star

I am SO sorry everyone! 

JT (Jim Truscello) is the developer of the CLOC screensaver app/channel.  He emailed me a link to download a private channel which fixed it for me.  HOWEVER, I have been searching and searching for his email with the private channel link and cannot find it anywhere!   I will continue to search and certainly post if/when I find it.

In the meantime, perhaps you could take a stab at trying to contact him directly ?

Again - my apologies !  

0 Kudos
krispyonion
Streaming Star

It's listed as CLOCPRI:

https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=CLOCPRI

Alas, doesn't solve my issue, but I'm glad it's got yours sorted. 🙂

0 Kudos
krispyonion
Streaming Star

From Roku Support: "Sometimes, if the wait time is more, Roku featured theme or screensaver might override the settings. So, Please try reducing the wait time."

I reset the wait time from 5 minutes to 1 minute, and so far, no Logo Rain - straight to my screensaver or the channel's regular behavior (like Hulu's own screensaver, or Amazon's blank screen).

0 Kudos