Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenevh
Level 7

Screensaver and Theme problems

I have a new Roku Ultra. My Screensaver is set to Aquarium after 5 minutes. My Theme is set to the default Roku.
When idle on the Home page my Screensaver kicks in properly, but when I’m in any other app (movie or TV), then PAUSE the player, after 5 minutes my TV goes blank. The Screensaver or Theme never desplay, just a blank TV screen.
I’ve rebooted the Roku and also tried different Screensavers/Themes, but after a forced Pause the TV always goes blank after my selected timeout (5minutes).
Am I the only one with this problem?
Am I doing something wrong?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jagreenough
Level 7

Re: Screensaver and Theme problems

I posted in another thread that I’ve turned off the screen saver and the sleep feature. I had issues with the roku not waking up or having display sync issues with these features.

Sorry that this is the best solution I have.
0 Kudos
greenevh
Level 7

Ouch! Don’t Roku techs read these things? Obviously my problem isn’t serious, but it’s sure annoying. A brand new device shouldn’t have a basic operational issue such as this.
0 Kudos

I always left my screensaver set to the default "City Scroll". At some point I switched it to the Photo Collage Picture of the Day or whatever it's called. That didn't last very long, as all too frequently it would hose up the HDMI connection and the display would be a total mess after waking it up from snoozing, requiring a reboot to clear the issue up. So now I've got it set to the lame, but harmless, Digital Clock and haven't had any issues since.

Quality control with Roku firmware releases seems to be an ongoing issue, with myriad of bugs (some major) frequently reported on this forum, yet it seems that some persist and linger for a very long time without being addressed. Many which should never have been an issue to begin with, real simple stuff that should've been found before the firmware was released, such as the issue that leaves the Roku stuck in private listening mode even after the headphones have been unplugged from the remote control.
0 Kudos
greenevh
Level 7

Thanks for the reply, good info. At least I’m not alone with this issue.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Some channels have their own screensavers, which takes priority over your default screensaver.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
greenevh
Level 7

I’ve been having the same problem doing a Pause while using an Amazon Prime movie and also a Netflix movie. I don’t remember it doing the "blank screen" thing in the past. I’m wondering if I set some feature incorrectly or maybe a recent software upgrade is causing the problem. Any other suggestions?
0 Kudos

In fairness to your original question, I should point out that for as far back as I can remember, pause/idle while in the YouTube app yields a blank screen instead of whatever the screensaver is set to. This speaks to Shawn's reply that some apps do their own thing regardless of what you have the Roku screensaver set as.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Premiere+4630" wrote:
In fairness to your original question, I should point out that for as far back as I can remember, pause/idle while in the YouTube app yields a blank screen instead of whatever the screensaver is set to. This speaks to Shawn's reply that some apps do their own thing regardless of what you have the Roku screensaver set as.

Yep, both YouTube and Amazon just blank the screen. It doesn't matter which version of Roku you have, or what screensaver you have set. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
greenevh
Level 7

You’re probably right about some apps like YouTube, but I specifically remember that a few weeks ago I Paused an Amazon movie and my Screensaver saver didn’t display but instead the Thene displayed. It was the default Theme of the floating Roku logo. It happened a few times, no Screensaver, but the Roku Theme. Now nothing, just a blank screen. I wonder what happened to the Theme being displayed? At least it was better than a blank screen. I bet a software update killed it!
0 Kudos