Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KSL_1027
Channel Surfer

Re: Screen reader won't disable

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for discovering this terrific workaround, DBDukes!!! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to resolve the immediate problem.

Thanks again, and all the best!

0 Kudos
sgilly
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Try this it worked for me. Click Accessibility & Captions, go to Audio track, click and see if there are two English options. One says English Stereo Descriptive the other one says English Stereo. See if you are on Descriptive and change it to the regular English.  This fixed all my apps that were giving me descriptions. 

0 Kudos
sgilly
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Try the solution posted by hgratp on 01-22-2022

Click in Accessibility  & captions, Go to Audio Track. Their should be two 'English' options. One of the them includes a 'Descriptive' feature that narrates all actions while there is no one talking on screen. The other is regular English Stereo. Select that one. 

This fixed the narration problem for me in HBO Max, Paramount, Hulu and PBS

0 Kudos
KSL_1027
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks, but I only have one English listed, not a descriptive option.

0 Kudos
Geohendo

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with Disney plus, I’ve disabled it multiple times and it hasn’t worked. I uninstalled the app, reset the Roku, and reinstalled it. The screen reader is still describing the picture. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Geohendo 

The Screen Reader is more of a voice that helps with navigation (describing menus and selections).

If you are hearing a voice "describing the picture" (ie. Jack is climbing the hill, etc), that is more a "Narrator" or "Description" feature that is normally part of an audio track.

You can try pressing the * button, Accessibility & Captions, Audio track and then selecting an alternative track.  I do not have Disney, so am not sure if there are additional audio tracks from within the Disney Settings that could also be contributing.

In short, I do not think your issue is with the Screen Reader, it is with an Audio Track that contains either Description or Narration.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I had to use the remote that came with my tv and went to settings then to accessibility and to screen reader and turn it off there.  Not sure why or how it got on but, it has worked twice for me.  Spent hours trying to fix it lol. Hope this helps someone else. 

DJW1

Jump to solution

Having the same issues with screen reader narrative description whatever you want to call it. I think the bottom line is the problem lies with Roku itself. Due to the fact that it just started happening and I've had this Roku on both TVs for several months now. Roku needs to investigate and fix this

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@DJW1

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? When you see this issue occur, what are your settings on for audio? What channel are you seeing this issue occur on, or does it happen across all channels?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@DJW1 

What are the settings under Settings > Accessibility > Screen reader ?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos