Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgilly
Reel Rookie

Re: Screen reader won't disable

Jump to solution

I'm having the same trouble except it's with various apps: HBO Max, Paramount, PBS. I've uninstalled, unpluged Roku and reinstalled app and screen reader is still on. How do I reboot Roku?

0 Kudos
sgilly
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. That worked for HBO Max and I thought I tried everything. I am so happy and appreciative.

0 Kudos
KSL_1027
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the exact problem...I'm attempting to watch HBO max (a subtitled Italian show - My Brilliant Friend) and each scene is narrated...so annoying.) I'm not clear on the fix - press the * button four times? Thanks folks!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @KSL_1027

Thanks for the post.

Yes, you can turn on and off the screen reader by pressing the star (*) button on the remote four times. For more information, you can check this Support link: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku® streaming device

Let us know if this works for you!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
KSL_1027
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I toggled between enabled and disabled several times to no avail. It is supposedly disabled but the show is still being narrated scene by scene. There's a disconnect between the HBO show and the setting. I tried unplugging the stick from tv to reset - again this was unsuccessful. I simply cannot watch my show (HBO) with this annoying voice announcing every detail. It's only happening with one show (the other seasons of this show were fine) on HBO and the show is actually Italian and subtitled in English. I have no idea why this would have anything to do with the screen reader. Again, previous seasons and other shows are fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@KSL_1027 

You want to tell us what the show is? And what season? And what episodes?

Help us help you.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

KSL_1027
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Sure thing: My Brilliant Friend, HBO, season 3, episode 1. (The problem suddenly started with this latest season, just released.)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@KSL_1027 

That's quite irritating.

That is not the Roku Screen Reader, by the way. If you turn that on, it gets even more irritating with another voice in the mix. What you're hearing is something HBO is doing. And they probably didn't realize they did it.

It looks like they provided an English track with Audio Descriptions included, rather than a plain English soundtrack. If you put the audio on Italian and read the subtitles, you don't hear the Audio Descriptions.

It would probably be best to contact HBO about this. Of course, I suspect they'll have been notified by now, or will be shortly, but another voice at the door wouldn't hurt.

@RokuDanny-R , @RokuKariza-D , @RokuMary-F 

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Rramey

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Rramey 

Did you press Options four times?

Also, it's a good idea to actually leave some information if you want help. Pretend we're on the other side of the Internet and aren't there with you to see what's actually going on.

DBDukes

0 Kudos