Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smedley2
Level 7

Screen mirroring to the Roku 3500x

I am trying to screen mirror from a Moto G7 phone to a Roku streaming stick model 3500x.  The settings are enabled on both the stick and the phone but the process will not complete.  The phone indicates it is connected, but the Roku stick does not seem to complete the connection.  Is the Roku 3500x supported for screen mirroring? I can’t find this answer anywhere.   If it is, why is it not completing the connection? If it isn’t supported, why does it offer the connection in the settings.  BTW, I have the most recent OS on the Roku stick.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Screen mirroring to the Roku 3500x

@Smedley2 wrote:

I am trying to screen mirror from a Moto G7 phone to a Roku streaming stick model 3500x.  The settings are enabled on both the stick and the phone but the process will not complete.  The phone indicates it is connected, but the Roku stick does not seem to complete the connection.  Is the Roku 3500x supported for screen mirroring? I can’t find this answer anywhere.   If it is, why is it not completing the connection? If it isn’t supported, why does it offer the connection in the settings.  BTW, I have the most recent OS on the Roku stick.

By default, Moto G7 (there are different models) phones do not support Miracast (which Roku uses) screen mirroring - just Chromecast (which Android/Android TV devices like Chromecast/nVidia Shield/TiVo Stream 4K/etc use).

However, its possible the vendor/service provider (or you) may have enabled Miracast compatibility - check with your phone's vendor/service provider for specific Miracast support/compatibility.

That being said, RokuOS 9.3.0 has/had a Miracast-related bug that prevents Miracast sessions from completely initializing when the Roku is using 2.4Ghz to connect to an SSID when using more recent Android versions (9/10).

Make sure you Roku device is on RokuOS 9.4.0 (all builds so far correct the issue) - if its not, manually update your Roku (Settings/System/System Update/Check Now).

Also, make sure your Roku is configured properly for screen mirroring:  Settings/System/Screen Mirroring/Screen mirroring mode=Prompt  and there are no blocked devices under Settings/System/Screen mirroring devices/Always Blocked=none.

If you still have issues completing the connection, try disabling/re-enabling WiFi on your phone/tablet, or restarting the Roku then retrying mirroring.

Finally, consider changing the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz Channel in your modem/router/gateway, and/or switching the band that the Roku connects to (try 5Ghz if its connecting via 2.4Ghz, or 2.4Ghz if its connecting via 5Ghz) - this works best when you use separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

0 Kudos