Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MWDXER
Streaming Star

Re: Screen mirroring not working

Jump to solution
Roku's screen mirroring, I rarely get it to work. For casting I just use the Cromecast. Much easier.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
Screen mirroring from a Windows computer is usually more of a Windows issue rather than a Roku problem. Windows has very specific hardware requirements for it to work. I have found the screen mirroring works fine from Android devices, and it's almost impossible from Apple devices. There's just no "standard" for mirroring, so everyone does it differently. If I want my PC to display on the screen, I just connect it via HDMI or VGA connections. Mirroring is just too much of a pain. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
trekkeriii
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
 I have found the screen mirroring works fine from Android devices. 

Google's Flagship devices since the Nexus 6 only do Chromecast, not Miracast. I think Samsung Androids do have Miracast.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - AT&T- 1000 Mbps/1000 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Streaming Star

Jump to solution
I have the Chromecast app on both my Win 7 laptop and my old son's Chromebook. It works better on the Chromebook, less delay and not as glitchy.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution
@mgates67 

Does restarting the TV from Settings>System>Power>System restart help clear up the issue and allow you to connect? 

If that still isn't working, and you aren't able to connect successfully, please generate a issue report tracker ID by pressing the home button 5 times, then the back button 5 times quickly. Send me a private message with your Roku account email address, your TV's serial number from Settings>System>About, and include the issue report tracker ID. I'll follow up with you directly to see what else we may be able to suggest. 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution
"trekkeriii" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
 I have found the screen mirroring works fine from Android devices. 

Google's Flagship devices since the Nexus 6 only do Chromecast, not Miracast. I think Samsung Androids do have Miracast.

Yeah, it was a Galaxy S8 that I was using. The battery just blew up on me, so I was forced to buy a new phone. Since my grandkids all have iPads, I had to get an iPhone so they can iMessage me. What we do for our kids and grandkids...  Smiley LOL
Dan

0 Kudos
Chicken
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
I was just able to mirror the screen from a Galaxy J7 running Android 9 to a Roku by using the "Smart View" icon on the pulldown notifications menu.  Audio worked as well, I played a short MP4 as a test.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: How to fix screen mirroring not working with my Roku device

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
Screen mirroring from a Windows computer is usually more of a Windows issue rather than a Roku problem. Windows has very specific hardware requirements for it to work. I have found the screen mirroring works fine from Android devices, and it's almost impossible from Apple devices. There's just no "standard" for mirroring, so everyone does it differently. If I want my PC to display on the screen, I just connect it via HDMI or VGA connections. Mirroring is just too much of a pain. 

Except that Miracast is a standard, built on standards, and not a new one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

"Miracast is a standard for wireless connections from devices (such as laptops, tablets, or smartphones) to displays (such as TVs, monitors or projectors), introduced in 2012 by the Wi-Fi Alliance. It can roughly be described as "HDMI over Wi-Fi", replacing the cable from the device to the display.

The Wi-Fi Alliance maintains a list of certified devices, which numbered over 6,700 as of 9 March 2017"

The fact is, two major device OS makers either never opted in (Apple), or later opted out in favor of their own proprietary protocol(s) (Google) - and both are members of the WiFi Alliance.

https://www.wi-fi.org/membership/member-companies

The standard exists, but so do non-compliance agendas.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution
Yes, Miracast is a standard, but what I'm saying is that not everyone supports Miracast. It's not a matter of compliance, it's a decision that someone somewhere has made that they would use a different method. This is one area that it would be nice to have a single standard that everyone complies with. But we're dealing with people, and some people are just going to do something the way they decide, regardless how it works for others. 
You can look no further than the CEC protocol. So many manufacturers "tweak" their products so they work perfectly between their own products but don't always play well with others. I've been fortunate that CEC seems to work well with my Samsung, Yamaha, Nvidia Shield and Roku devices, but my Panasonic TV demands a certain power up sequence or the TV remote volume buttons won't control my Yamaha AVR. 
Dan

0 Kudos
NYER566
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Screen mirroring was fine until the spring windows 1903 update. I had to reinstall new drivers which is normal. Before the update mirroring worked great. Now almost everytime I want to mirror my laptop to my roku i think its #2 not sure. When it does find my roku it works fine. Then when I shut down my computer and log back on its gone. No mirroring. I have to search for roku again. This is getting to be a real pain in the butt! does anyone have any answers as to why the Roku disappears afer I shut my computer down for the night then Roku is not showing and I have to go through the whole process to discover Roku again. Any help would be great.