Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mattla21
Channel Surfer

Re: How to fix screen mirroring not working with my Roku device

Jump to solution

Why is screen mirroring not working with my Roku device? I hadn't tried in a while, and I just gave it a go. I get audio but no video. How can I fix this?

8 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Switch the Screen Mirroring Mode setting to "Prompt", then disable/enable Wifi on your phone and try connecting in SmartView again - you should then see a TV dialog asking "Always Allow/Allow/Block/ Always Block" - choose "Always Allow" (be patient, some devices can take up to 30 seconds to connect).

If you ever have trouble connecting after that, simply disabling/enabling Wifi on the mirroring device fixes connection problems 98% of the time.

Its best to leave the Mirroring Mode at "Prompt" for any additional devices you have, and for privacy/security reasons as well.

View solution in original post

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

"Casting" (device app controls other device app; e.g. NetFlix on Phone controls NF on Roku) and Screen Mirroring/Sharing (device screen appears on other device screen; e.g. Samsung phone screen appears on Roku TV screen as well) are two different technologies/protocols/processes.

That being said, if you've otherwise configured your TCL Roku TV as I outlined above, then:

1) Try connecting the TCL via wired or to a 5Ghz SSID - there is a known RokuOS bug (in recent builds of 9.3.0) when Roku streamers are connecting to 2.4Ghz SSIDs that prevent Miracast (and other) connections with more recent Android/OneUI/SmartView device (phone/tablet/etc) versions (older Android/OneUI/SmartView versions work fine however).

2)  If your wireless gateway/router/modem/device doesnt have separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs, configure it so it does (so that you have more control and allowing you the above recommended configuration).

3)  If your wireless gateway/router/modem/device only has 2.4Ghz frequency range, consider upgrading/replacing it with a dual-band (both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) one (soon triple band will become available).

4) Report the Miracasting issue to both TCL and Roku (and to your phone/device manufacturer too):

https://support.tcl.com/contact-us

https://support.roku.com/contactus

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

1) Verify screen mirroring of Roku is configured/working properly:

A) Settings/System/Screen mirroring/Screen mirroring mode=Prompt

B) Settings/System/Screen mirroring/Screen mirroring devices/Always blocked=none

C) Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Device connect=Enabled

D) Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by mobile devices=Default

E) Always select "Always allow" when prompted by the Roku

F) Test with (another) Android/Windows Miracast-capable device

2) Workarounds/solutions:

A) Disable/re-enable WiFi connection of phone/tablet/PC - try again

B) Restart Roku/phone/tablet/PC/modem/router/gateway - try again

C) Switch Roku and/or phone/tablet/PC to 2.4Ghz SSID or 5Ghz SSID - try again

D) Delete all devices under Always Allow - try again

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I faced an issue when connecting Windows 10 to Roku. The screen mirror was not working, I don’t know why maybe the Roku might have stuck at a limbo state.

I wasn’t sure what to do so, I simply update my Windows to its newer version but it did not work. Then I remove the paired device from Roku and then added another device.

This time it worked, Windows 10 got connected with the Roku device and I was able to screen mirror the video from the device to Roku.

Actually, I found this solution in this blog- http://www.pcerror-fix.com/roku-screen-mirroring-not-working-windows-10

dpupek
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The fix for me was to pair a BLUETOOTH remote to my ROKU TV. I think the screen mirroring relies on the BLUETOOTH subsystem and it's off by default??

Anyway I forget the exact steps I took but I added my BLUETOOTH remote from an old Roku. I had to enable the Bluetooth to do this somewhere in the roku settings. 

Once I paired the remote the screen mirror began working perfectly. 

0 Kudos
andrifr
Visitor

Re: Screen mirroring problems

Jump to solution
ok, got it to work after reading other topics on the forum.
I removed the device in Devices and Printers, but that didn't help.
Then I simply disabled screen mirroring on Roku and enabled it again and everything works fine.
The intel website still opens when I connect to Roku, but other than that, everything works fine.

0 Kudos
lshiang
Visitor

Jump to solution

I had the same kind problem using Roku Miracast, which indicates video working fine onto TV, but audio not working with static noise.  The following solution, I accidently found during a Google search, is posted below so that other people could benefit from:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 62f556aedd

Try the below steps and check if they helps.

• Press Start, type Sound into the search space and select same from the list.

• Select Speakers as the default playback device.

• Go to the "Recording" tab, right-click and enable "Show Disabled Devices"

• A recording device called "Wave Out Mix", "Mono Mix" or "Stereo Mix" should appear.

• Right click on the new device and click "Enable"

• Right click on the new device and click "Set as Default Device"

• Double click on the new device to open the Properties window

• Go to the "Listen" tab

• Click on the "Listen to this device" checkbox

• Select your HDMI device from the "Playback through this device" list

Now check if you're able to use the both device at same time.

0 Kudos
comprodigy
Visitor

Jump to solution

So I have thoroughly investigated the audio problems, tried every "fix", and here is the issue as I see it:

First try to test all components of your computer, update drivers, and perform troubleshooting steps. Next try different settings in the audio of the ROKU. If all that fails, then the following may help, though it is referring to distorted audio.

Whenever two devices connect to each other, the is a "handshake" process where each exchange information about how and what information they will communicate. Basically there is an error in how windows does this with ROKU devices. Apparently this was triggered by an update.

Now to understand what is happening, you need to know a little bit about an audio problem called "clipping". Have you ever heard a recording that you could easily hear, but was just out of wack like it had been run through some gravel or something? Go ahead and look up clipping in another browser tab... I'll wait............ Ok, now that you know what clipping is, go watch a video on youtube called "simpsons megaphone testing", its very short.

When the handshake happens between the Windows 10 computer and the ROKU, (1) if no audio track is playing, when the computer then plays audio something like the simpsons vid happens on the ROKU end, and it gets blown by MASSIVE clipping. (2) HOWEVER, if you play anything that has an audio track at full computer volume, the handshake proceeds as it should and all audio play as it should.

I tested this by creating a silent audio track that has absolutely nothing that will transmit at all, it is literally a straight line with no frequencies or wave forms what so ever. I then played it while connecting to the ROKU, and then played a video after it was connected, and the sound from it was fine. I LITERALLY PLAYED A FILE OF NOTHING AT ALL WHILE CONNECTING.

So the problem seems to be that windows needs to provide a audio sample audio during the handshake to establish what "normal volume" should be. Even if it is a sample of nothing. If Microsoft would include this as part of the process, then it seems it would fix the issue.

(AGAIN, YOU'RE WELCOME MICROSOFT!)

0 Kudos
160 REPLIES 160
andrifr
Visitor

Jump to solution

I just got Roku Premiere+.
Tried to mirror screen and it took a long time of trying to connect again and again. For some reason, my browser kept opening this page: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/widi-pro-widi-discontinued-n...
but then finally my screen was mirrored on my Roku. I tried disconnecting, restarting and connecting again and I had all the same problems.
Additionally, when my screen was mirroring, I had no audio. When I clicked the audio icon in the bottom right (Windows 10), I seemed to have a choice of either using my computer speakers or something called Digital Audio 0, which gave me no sound at all. I am able to use the bar to raise the volume from 0 to 100, but it still said Digital Audio 0 and I heard no sound.

Any suggestions?

andrifr
Visitor

Jump to solution
ok, got it to work after reading other topics on the forum.
I removed the device in Devices and Printers, but that didn't help.
Then I simply disabled screen mirroring on Roku and enabled it again and everything works fine.
The intel website still opens when I connect to Roku, but other than that, everything works fine.
0 Kudos
lshiang
Visitor

Jump to solution

I had the same kind problem using Roku Miracast, which indicates video working fine onto TV, but audio not working with static noise.  The following solution, I accidently found during a Google search, is posted below so that other people could benefit from:

• A recording device called "Wave Out Mix", "Mono Mix" or "Stereo Mix" should appear.

• Go to the "Listen" tab

0 Kudos
FGG-IBCA
Visitor

Jump to solution

I recently tried to mirror my TV trough Roku Premier, I got the screen duplicated correctly on my Sony TV but there was absolutely no sound.  I tried several times with the same result.
This was done using Miracast on my new Lenovo Yoga 920 13IKB running windows 10 x64 Version 1709.  The  wireless display from the same laptop worked fine going directly to a Samsung Smart TV MU6290, both video and sound were working perfectly, the sound missing problem was only occurring when using Roku Premier.
I eventually searched for new drivers on the Lenovo Yoga 920 and windows found a new driver for the Realtek High Definition audio(SST).
This solved the audio issue on my Roku premier mirroring. I also posted this on Lenovo forum, for the driver levels of the audio controllers see the link below:  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yog ... -p/3910687

Realtek audio driver  6.0.1.8303  dated 11/16/2017 fixed my Roku Premier audio problem with Mirroring.

0 Kudos
comprodigy
Visitor

Jump to solution

So I have thoroughly investigated the audio problems, tried every "fix", and here is the issue as I see it:

First try to test all components of your computer, update drivers, and perform troubleshooting steps. Next try different settings in the audio of the ROKU. If all that fails, then the following may help, though it is referring to distorted audio.

Whenever two devices connect to each other, the is a "handshake" process where each exchange information about how and what information they will communicate. Basically there is an error in how windows does this with ROKU devices. Apparently this was triggered by an update.

Now to understand what is happening, you need to know a little bit about an audio problem called "clipping". Have you ever heard a recording that you could easily hear, but was just out of wack like it had been run through some gravel or something? Go ahead and look up clipping in another browser tab... I'll wait............ Ok, now that you know what clipping is, go watch a video on youtube called "simpsons megaphone testing", its very short.

When the handshake happens between the Windows 10 computer and the ROKU, (1) if no audio track is playing, when the computer then plays audio something like the simpsons vid happens on the ROKU end, and it gets blown by MASSIVE clipping. (2) HOWEVER, if you play anything that has an audio track at full computer volume, the handshake proceeds as it should and all audio play as it should.

I tested this by creating a silent audio track that has absolutely nothing that will transmit at all, it is literally a straight line with no frequencies or wave forms what so ever. I then played it while connecting to the ROKU, and then played a video after it was connected, and the sound from it was fine. I LITERALLY PLAYED A FILE OF NOTHING AT ALL WHILE CONNECTING.

So the problem seems to be that windows needs to provide a audio sample audio during the handshake to establish what "normal volume" should be. Even if it is a sample of nothing. If Microsoft would include this as part of the process, then it seems it would fix the issue.

(AGAIN, YOU'RE WELCOME MICROSOFT!)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you comprodigy!  Connected while my video/audio was playing through my laptop speakers, and it worked like a charm!

0 Kudos
alice2911
Visitor

Jump to solution
"lshiang" wrote:

• Go to the "Listen" tab

I also met the same problem. But was solved by your way
0 Kudos
mgates67
Visitor

Jump to solution

I'm trying to mirror my Windows 10 laptop to my Roku TV. It's not working. I've searched this forum and other places extensively, but there doesn't seem to be much information available. I have:

TCL 55R615 Roku TV that is running Roku version 9.1.0, build 4129.
HP Envy laptop running Windows 10 Home 64 bit version 1903, build 18362.267.

All versions are confirmed to be the latest available. I've even tried updating the wireless NIC and graphics drivers. Both the Roku TV and my laptop are connected to the same wireless network. Generally the laptop does not see the TV as an available device and will search endlessly for it. Randomly, it will appear as an available device but the connection will always fail.

What do I need to do to get this working?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Windows mirroring is hit or miss, usually miss. I've never made it work, although I had no issue mirroring an Android phone. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.