Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Screen mirroring compatibility with my older TV

My favorite annual film festival is closed this year, but they're live-streaming it and I really don't want to spend four days staring at my computer desktop. I read that the ROKU 3900 does screen mirroring so I can watch it on my television, but I wanted to make sure it would be compatible before I make my purchase. My TV set is an Olevia 237-T12. If I upgrade to a new Roku, can I get the screen mirroring?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Screen mirroring compatibility with my older TV

Mirroring from a Windows 10 PC only works (in my experience) from a laptop. It requires a wireless adapter in the Windows computer to enable screen mirroring to other networked devices. Note that the device you're mirroring to (in this case the Roku) does not have to be connected via wireless. My Ultra 4640 is wired, and my 4670 is wireless. I can screen mirror from my laptop to both without issue.  My laptop can also see the Smart TVs and my Shield as potential mirroring destination players, but I've only tried it with my Ultra players. 

When I try to use a Windows 10 desktop to screen mirror, Windows tells me my computer doesn't support Miracast. A wireless adapter is one requirement for Miracast to work. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

So does that mean I don't need to upgrade to the Roku 3900? Would the laptop do the job? I don't have a laptop, and the Roku would be a lot cheaper.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@justwantanswer1 wrote:

So does that mean I don't need to upgrade to the Roku 3900? Would the laptop do the job? I don't have a laptop, and the Roku would be a lot cheaper.

Well, to use Windows 10 you need a laptop, and yes you need a Roku that supports screen mirroring. What might work the easiest is if your current computer has HDMI video out, just run an HDMI cable from the computer to the TV and connect it to an available HDMI port. You can get a fairly long HDMI cable for less than a new Roku player, and far less than even the least expensive laptop. You can then watch it with your computer but see it on the larger TV screen.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.