Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwlloyd810
Level 7

SD memory card incompatibility

The smallest micro SD card I could find was an 8 Gb micro SDHC card at the dollar store. I have never bought anything smaller or lower quality than a class 10 chip. I didn't think they made micro sized SD chips with less memory. Where can a person buy one of these antique chips? 
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: SD memory card incompatibility

Direct from Roku.. lol.

https://www.roku.com/accessories/miscellaneous
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

I've used a 16gb card and it worked fine ( in case you already have one ).
0 Kudos
Mikenz
Level 7

for basic hd 720p-1080p class 6 is about minimum for good results.
for 4k class 10 a v30-v90 best though v10 is minimum
when someday we get 8k then you'd need minimum v30

for reference sake a 32gb v30 name brand sd card on amazon is $18.

i never paid that much attention until i got my first drone several years back. the newest shoots at 4k. if i use anything less than a v30 card the video portion has 'issues' so to speak. sort of like expecting a 4 cylinder engine to give you bugatti performance.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Mikenz" wrote:
for basic hd 720p-1080p class 6 is about minimum for good results.
for 4k class 10 a v30-v90 best though v10 is minimum
when someday we get 8k then you'd need minimum v30

for reference sake a 32gb v30 name brand sd card on amazon is $18.

i never paid that much attention until i got my first drone several years back. the newest shoots at 4k. if i use anything less than a v30 card the video portion has 'issues' so to speak. sort of like expecting a 4 cylinder engine to give you bugatti performance.

Nope, this doesn't apply to the Roku.. the Roku only stores channel code on it's SD cards, not the actual video content.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

Hi
I am trying to install microsd card but it is not getting detected.  Should pin being facing up when inserting the card
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

It should only fit in one orientation. I think the pins face down. Make sure it clicks into place. You usually have to use your fingernail to get it to go all the way in. When it's in all the way, it will be pretty much flush with the case.

-JT
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"renojim" wrote:
It should only fit in one orientation.  I think the pins face down.  Make sure it clicks into place.  You usually have to use your fingernail to get it to go all the way in.  When it's in all the way, it will be pretty much flush with the case.

-JT

Seconding this.

I'm pretty sure the pins face down as well, and I don't think they can be inserted in any other orientation.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

When I put one in the Roku 3, the pins faced *up* toward the ethernet port.

Regardless, never try to force the card into the slot.  If it is put the way the slot requires, the notch will line up and the card will go smoothly in.  If you are trying to force the card into the slot then the notch isn't matching.  Also, once you get the card about 80% into the slot, you may feel a soft push-back from a spring but it should still continue to go in smoothly.  It still should not feel like that card needs to be forced in.  For the Roku 3, once it was correctly put in the slot it clicked into place and the Roku prompted for if I wanted to reformat the card.
0 Kudos